Paiton-2 power station
The satellite photo below shows the plant, located in Bhinor Village, Paiton District, Probolinggo Regency, East Java Province. Paiton-1 and Paiton-2 are adjacent to the Paiton-3 power station.
The Paiton-2 power station is operated by PT Jawa Power and consists of 2 x 660 MW units. It began construction in 1996 and began operating in 2000.
Paiton-2 is part of the 4,945-MW Paiton coal-fired power complex, including the two-unit, 800-MW PLN Paiton plant, owned by PLN; the two-unit, 1,340-MW Paiton-1 plant, operated by PT Paiton Energy; the single-unit, 825-MW Paiton-3 plant, operated by PT Paiton Energy; and the single-unit, 660-MW PLN Paiton Baru plant, owned by PLN.
In May 2017 it was reported that the Paiton power complex produces the largest amount of Hazardous and Toxic B3 waste of any facility in East Java, 153 million tonnes a year, a figure that represents 80% of the annual total of 170 million tonnes for East Java. B3 waste is defined by Government Regulation 19 of 1994 as "any waste containing dangerous and/or toxic material, which due to its characteristics and/or concentration and/or amount, either directly or indirectly, may damage and/or pollute the living environment and/or endanger human health."
- Sponsor: PT Jawa Power
- Parent company: Siemens (50%), YTL Corporation (17.5%), Marubeni (17.5%), PT Bumipertiwi Tatapradipta (15%)
- Location: Bhinor Village, Paiton District, Probolinggo Regency, East Java Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: -7.715299,113.5857062 (exact)
- Gross Capacity: 2 x 660 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 1999
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Paiton II Coal Power Plant Indonesia, Global Energy Observatory, accessed May 2012
- "Coal-Fired Plants Financed by International Public Investment Institutions Since 1994", Appendix to Foreclosing the Future: Coal, Climate and International Public Finance: Investment in coal-fired power plants hinders the fight against global warming, Environmental Defense, April 2009.
- About Us, PT Jawa Power, accessed June 25, 2021
- Komplek PLTU Paiton Sumbang Limbah Beracun Terbesar di Jatim, Kompas, May 18, 2017
- Government Regulation of the Republic of Indonesia regarding hazardous and toxic waste management (No. 19 of 1994) Ecolex, accessed December 2017