Pamodzi power station
Pamodzi power station, also known as Chipoka Coal Plant, is a proposed 120-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Salima district, Malawi.
The map below shows the location of Chipoka, Malawi, but not the exact location of the Chipoka Coal Plant.
In March 2013, Intra Energy Corporation (IEC) announced it would construct and operate a 120 MW coal fired power station in Malawi through a wholly owned subsidiary. The company signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Government of Malawi on March 15, 2013 for the plant to be built at Chipoka, Salima.
In 2013, IEC said the project was planned for operation in 2017 and permitting was near complete. The plant was to be fueled by coal the company owns in the region; IEC owns the Nkhachira Coal Mine near Karonga in northern Malawi.
In May 2014, IEC signed an MoU with Endeavor Energy Power to assess the potential of the project, which could be up to 240 MW.
In April 2016, construction of a 120 MW coal plant was permitted. Execution of the PPA term sheet for the project was completed with the government of Malawi in April 2016. Under the agreement, the plant was to source its coal from its Tancoal mine in Tanzania, and not from Intra Energy’s Malcoal mine in Malawi, because the company was debating the sale of the mine and its other Malawi subsidiaries due to low sales.
In its annual report for the period ending June 30, 2016, Chairman Graeme Robinson wrote that the Pamodzi project was on hold "until a suitable power station developer is found."
In March 2017, Intra Energy reported: "In a recent review of the Unsolicited Independent Power Producers (UIPPs) done by Mott MacDonald, Project Pamodzi was identified as one of the only two coal-fired power station projects on the list of UIPPs to be considered for inclusion in the Integrated Resource Plan (IRP) study."
A September 2018 Intra Energy Quarterly Report said the following of the project: "IEC is currently discussing the potential for this project to proceed with a new partner."
The project appeared in Intra Energy's June 2019 annual report, but not in its June 2020 annual report, so the project appears to be shelved.
- Sponsor: Malcoal Mining
- Parent company: Intra Energy Corporation (IEC)
- Location: Chipoka, Salima district, Malawi
- Coordinates: -13.966667, 34.5 (approximate location of Chipoka)
- Status: Shelved
- Capacity: 120 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Tancoal mine, Tanzania
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Intra Energy Coal Mining Company to Construct New 120 MW Power Station in Malawi," Mining in Malawi, March 18, 2013
- "Mbalawala Thermal Coal Project - Intra Energy," Investor presentation, March 18, 2013
- "IEC, Endeavor sign MoU on power deal," bnl Times, May 5, 2014
- "Malawi: Coal Usage to Be Maintained Within Acceptable Levels," All Africa, April 20, 2016
- "Malawi power plant developer signs term sheet with utility," Engineering News, May 6, 2016
- "Intra Energy Annual Report for the Year Ending June 30, 2016"
- "Quarterly Activities Report March 2017," Intra Energy, March 2017
- "Quarterly Activities Report," Intra Energy, September 30, 2018
- Compare "Annual Financial Report For the year ended 30 June 2019" with "Annual Financial Report For the year ended 30 June 2020"