Panther Eagle Mine
Panther Eagle Mine is a coal mine in West Virginia, United States.
The undated satellite photo below shows the mine in Raleigh County, West Virginia.
In June 2017 Alpha Natural Resources announced Thursday it was opening a new underground coal mine in Raleigh County. According to the company, there are 8.8 million tons of metallurgical reserves available for Panther Eagle. Panther Eagle is expected to produce 110,000 tons of Alpha’s 14 million tons projected in 2017.
- Owner: Marfolk Coal Company
- Parent: Contura Energy
- Mine Status: Operating
- Start year: 2017
- Current Capacity: 110,000 tonnes
- Recoverable Reserves: 8.8 million tonnes
- Proposed Capacity:
- Location: Whitesville, Raleigh County, West Virginia
- Coordinates: 37.925833, -81.487778 (exact)
- Coal Type: Metallurgical
- Mining Method: Underground
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Kentucky and coal
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "Alpha opening new underground mine in Raleigh County," WSAZ, June 8, 2017
- McGee, David (Nov 9, 2018). "Contura-Alpha Merger Completed". Bristol Herald-Courier. Bristol, VA. Retrieved Nov 9, 2018.
- "About Us," Contura Energy, accessed August 2019
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration