Paraná LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Paraná LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG terminal in the state of Paraná, Brazil.
The proposed terminal would be located on the coast of Paraná state, Brazil, near the municipality of Paranaguá.
- Owner: Copel (Companhia Paranaense de Energia), Shell
- Location: Paranaguá or Pontal do Paraná, Paraná state, Brazil
- Coordinates: -25.500628, -48.540775 (approximate)
- Capacity: 14 million cubic metres per day
- Status: Proposed
- Type: Import
- Start Year: unknown
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
The Paraná terminal project, originally proposed in 2016, is currently being studied by Copel, the state power company of Paraná, in partnership with Shell. The terminal, accompanied by a pipeline between 90km and 127km in length, would supply 2.2 million cubic meters of natural gas per day to the existing 484 MW Araucária power station. In addition, it would supply other power plants yet to be constructed in the region, while providing 1.5 million cubic meters per day to other customers in Paraná state, and exporting 2 to 4 million cubic meters per day to customers in São Paulo state. Two potential sites for the terminal are currently being studied, one near the existing Port of Paranaguá, the other closer to the Atlantic Coast at Pontal do Paraná. The Paranaguá location offers better existing infrastructure, while the Pontal do Paraná location would offer deeper clearances for LNG vessels.
Articles and resources
- "Terminais de Regaseificação de GNL no Brasil: Panorama dos Principais Projetos (pp 19-20)" (PDF). EPE (Empresa de Pesquisa Energética). August 30, 2019.
- "Mais um terminal de GNL em estudo no Brasil". Petróleo Hoje. September 15, 2016.
- "Mais um terminal de GNL em estudo no Brasil". Kincaid | Mendes Vianna Advogados. September 16, 2016.
- "Brazil prepares for a new phase of investments in LNG terminals". LNG Latin America & the Caribbean. Retrieved 2021-04-17.