Paras power station
Paras power station is an existing 500-megawatt (MW) coal plant in Maharashtra, India. An additional 250 MW has been proposed.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Paras village.
- Unit 1 - 30 MW - 1961 (decommissioned 1991)
- Unit 2 - 62.5 MW - 1967 (decommissioned 2010)
- Unit 3 - 250 MW - 2007
- Unit 4 - 250 MW - 2010
Unit 5: 250 MW Expansion
Mahagenco is planning to install a 250 MW unit at the same location as the existing plant. In January 2014 the company described the status of the project as follows:
- Land: Land acquisition for power house and ash disposal area is completed.
- Water: Available from lower Mun barrage.
- Fuel : MahaGuj has, vide letter dtd. 18th May, 2011, assured supply of coal to this project from Machhakata coal blocks. Further, GoI Vide Letter dtd 06.09.2013 have allocated Coal block of Mahajanwadi, Nagpur for this project.
- MoE&F clearance: The Terms of Reference (TOR) is received from Ministry of Environment & Forests, Govt. of India on 26.09.2012. Final EIA report awaited from NEERI.
- Power Purchase Agreement: MERC vide order dtd. 29.10.2013 accorded approval to amend PPA dtd. 01.04.2009 with MSEDCL for addition of this project in existing PPA.
- Follow up with GoM for approval of the project is going on.
In July 2014 the company said environmental clearance was "pending due to coal analysis report of the revised coal linkage."
The company received a new Terms of Reference in October 2015.
As of January 2020 there have been no further developments, and the project appears to be deferred or abandoned.
Project Details for Unit 5 Expansion
Sponsor: Maharashtra State Power Generation Company (Mahagenco)
Location: Paras village, Akola district, Maharashtra
Coordinates: 20.7147, 76.7948 (exact)
Capacity: 250 MW
Projected in service:
Source of financing:
Permits and applications: Terms of Reference for unit 5, India MoEF, September 26, 2012; Terms of Reference for unit 5, India MoEF, Oct 16, 2015
Resources and articles
Related GEM.wiki articles
- "Paras Coal Power Station India," Global Energy Observatory, accessed April 2014
- "Paras Extension Coal Power Station India," Global Energy Observatory, accessed April 2014
- "Future Projects (6090 MW)," Mahagenco, Accessed January 8, 2014
- "Future Projects (6090 MW)," Mahagenco, 16.07.2014
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, Oct 16, 2015