Pauni-II coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Pauni-II Coal Mine is operated by Western Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India, located near the village of Sakhri, Taluka Rajura, District Chandrapur in the State of Maharashtra, India.
The satellite image below shows the area of the mine in Sakhri village, Chandrapur District, Maharashtra.
Background on Mine
The Pauni-II Expansion Opencast Coal Mine has a capacity of 3.25 million tonnes on 1095.52 ha. It is located near Village Sakhri, Tehsil Rajura, District Chandrapur in the State of Maharashtra, India. Pauni-II Opencast coal mine in Ballarpur coal area had earlier received Environemnt Clearance for 0.6 MTPA on 2 February, 2006 on a mining lease area of 316.30 ha.
The public hearing for the Pauni-II expansion project was conducted on 1 December 2018. A total of 954 families will be affected due to land acquisition of 718.69 ha agricutlural land. The Project received its environment clearance on 28 March 2019 from MoEF&CC India for one year to be extended after submitting compliance report. The main consumers of the mine are thermal plants of MAHAGENCO, KPCL, GSCCL and miscellaneous consumers.
- Sponsor: Western Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India Limited
- Location: Sakhri Village, Rajura Tehsil, Chandrapur District, Maharashtra, India
- GPS coordinates: 19.8052778, 79.270277 (approx)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 3.25 million tonnes per year (MTPA) (Actual Production in 2019: 2.11 million tonnes).
- Total Resource: 42.87 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves: 30.63 million tonnes
- Coal Type: Non-coking coal, Grade D-E
- Mine Size: 1095.52 hectares
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Start Year: 2007
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications: Environment Clearance for Pauni-II Expansion Opencast Coal Mine, MoEF&CC India, 28 March, 2019
- Size of Expansion:
- Permits and Applications:
Articles and Resources
- List of Environment Clearances for WCL Projects
- Environment Clearance for Pauni-II Expansion Opencast Coal Mine, MoEF&CC India, 28 March, 2019