Peterhead power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Peterhead power station is a 1,180-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power plant in Aberdeenshire County, United Kingdom.
The map below shows the location of the power station in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire County, United Kingdom.
Peterhead originally consisted of two 660 MW conventional steam turbines (units 1 and 2) fired by fuel oil or natural gas. In 1998 work began to convert unit 1's steam turbine into a combined cycle unit with three new gas turbines and HRSG units. The combined-cycle unit was completed in 2000, and two separate gas turbines (units 3 and 4) originally built in 1992 were retired.
Under the EU's Industrial Emissions Directive (still effective after the United Kingdom left the EU), plants not meeting pollution limits would have to perform upgrades or opt-out and retire by 2023. Peterhead unit 2, already mothballed, opted out and would have to close in 2023. Plans for its closure began as early as 2010, though, and SSE reliquished its unit 2 Transmission Entry Capacity (TEC) rights in 2010. Unit 1 remained in operation, although in their 2013 annual report SSE wrote: "Peterhead technically has an installed capacity of 1,840MW. However, because of the impact of high transmission access charges in the north of Scotland, SSE took the decision in March 2010 to release TEC at Peterhead, effectively constraining the available generation capacity of the site to 1,180MW. Transmission access charges continue to be excessively expensive in the north of Scotland and, given the challenging market conditions for gas-fired generation, SSE has decided to reduce Peterhead’s TEC to 400MW from 31 March 2014."
In 2021 the project applied for 1,180 MW existing generation in the T-4 Capacity Market 2024-2025 auction, and they were listed in the final results. This would qualify them for government subsidies to guarantee electricity supply.
- Sponsor: SSE plc
- Parent company: SSE PLC
- Location: Peterhead, Aberdeenshire County, United Kingdom
- Coordinates: 57.4772, -1.7889 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 1,180 MW
- Gross generating capacity (mothballed): 660 MW
- Unit 2: Fuel oil- and gas-fired steam turbine, 660 MW (start-up in 1980, mothballed in 2010)
- Gross generating capacity (retired): 230 MW
Articles and Resources
- Peterhead Power Station, Engineering Timelines, accessed Apr 13, 2021
- Great flexibility gained by Peterhead repowering, NS Energy, Aug 20, 1998
- Industrial emissions standards and best available techniques, UK Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs, Dec 31, 2020
- Energy Trends 2015-2016, United Kingdom, Sep 2015
- UPDATE 2-UK Peterhead power plant Unit 2 likely to close, Reuters, Mar 22, 2010
- Scottish and Southern Energy plc Annual Report 2010, SSE, 2010
- SSE plc Annual Report 2013, SSE, 2013
- T4 DY2024-25 Final Results, Electricity Market Reform Delivery Body, Mar 22, 2021
- Capacity Market Register 2024-25 (T-4) - 13_04_2021, Electricity Market Reform Delivery Body, Apr 13, 2021
- Capacity Market, United Kingdom, Mar 1, 2019
- Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) 549300KI75VYLLMSK856 Global Legal Entity Identifier Foundation, accessed January 2020
- Global Energy Observatory ID 4765, accessed January 2020
- Digest of UK Energy Statistics (DUKES) United Kingdom Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- Fundamentals of CCGT Power Technology and the application of CCS, UKCCSRC, accessed Apr 13, 2021