In June 2011, federal regulators denied a plan by Cliffs Natural Resources to pump inert gas into part of a the Pinnacle mine that has been idled by elevated carbon monoxide readings. Cliffs said it was appealing the regulators’ denial and evaluating other options.
Methane leak at Cliffs coal mine causes no injuries
On August 13, 2012 a methane leak occurred at the Cliffs Natural Resources' Pinnacle mine complex but no injuries were reported.
- Owner: Cliffs Natural Resources
- Parent company:
- Location: Pineville, West Virgina
- GPS coordinates: 37.558406, -81.511253
- Production: 864,000 tons (2009)
- Type of coal: Metallurgic
- Mine type: Underground
- Equipment: Longwall
- Number of employees: 360
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- West Virginia and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "Mining Locations", Cliffs Natural Resources website, accessed March 2010.
- "Regulators Stop Company’s Plan for Coal Mine" NY Times, June 24, 2011.
- "Methane leak at Cliffs coal mine causes no injuries" Reuters, August 17, 2012.