Polk Power Station Unit 6
In October, 2007, the company suspended the project, citing the governor’s push to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and related potential cost increases. Tampa Electric intends to explore natural gas and renewables as alternatives for the cancelled plant.
Sponsor: Tampa Electric
Location: Polk County, FL
Size: 630 MW
Projected in service: 2013
- "Stopping the Coal Rush", Sierra Club, accessed January 2008. (This is a Sierra Club list of new coal plant proposals).
- "Tampa Electric Backs Off Polk Plant," The Ledger, October 4, 2007.
- "Tampa Electric Cancels Plans for New Coal Plant in Florida," Energy Online, October 5, 2007.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- US proposed coal plants (both active and cancelled)
- Coal plants cancelled in 2007
- Coal plants cancelled in 2008
- Coal plant litigation
- Florida and coal
- State-by-state guide to information on coal in the United States (or click on the map)
- "Tracking New Coal-Fired Power Plants: Coal's Resurgence in Electric Power Generation", National Energy Tech Lab, May 2007, page 10. (Pdf)
- Polk Power Station, Tampa Electric, undated, accessed January 2008.