Primorsky power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Primorsky GRES is a 1,495-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Primorsky territory, Russia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is near Luchegorsk city, Pozharsky district, Primorsky territory.
Background on Plant
The nine-unit, 1,495-MW, mine-to-mouth Primorsky GRES power station (also referred to as the Luchegorsky Fuel & Energy Complex (LuTEK)) was built between 1974 and 1990. The plant is the largest in Russia's Far East, and its 330-meter Stack 3 is tied for the 14th tallest in the world. The plant is owned by the Far Eastern Generating Company, a subsidiary of RAO Energy System of East — which is in turn majority-owned by RusHydro.
In 2013, Far Eastern Generating Company began a substantial renovation of the existing nine units.
In September 2019 RusHydro agreed to an asset swap which would transfer ownership of the plant and the Luchegorsky coal mine to Andrey Melnichenko, the majority-minority owner of the Siberian Coal Energy Company (SUEK). The swap was expected to occur in December 2019. In June 2020 the asset swap was completed with SUEK becoming the plant's owner and RusHydro obtaining 41.98% ownership of the Far Eastern Energy Company.
Description of Expansion
Platts states that two additional 330-MW units are currently under development at the plant. No information or news about this is available on Far Eastern Generating Company's website, including in its "Investment" section. It is unclear whether this plan is in fact moving forward.
- Sponsor: Far Eastern Generating Company
- Parent company: Suek
- Location: Luchegorsk city, Pozharsky district, Primorsky territory, Russia
- Coordinates: 46.46517, 134.29063 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 1,495 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 1974-90
- Coal type: Lignite
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Project Details for Expansion
- Sponsor: RusHydro
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 660 MW
- Projected in service: TBD
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Лучегорский топливно-энергетический комплекс, Far Eastern Generating Company website, accessed Feb. 2014.
- Structure, RAO Energy System of East website, accessed Feb. 2014.
- Приморская ГРЭС, Wikipedia (Russian), accessed June 2018.
- Приморская ГРЭС: в 2013 году ремонтные работы пройдут на всех девяти энергоблоках, Energy and Industry of Russia, Feb. 15, 2013.
- Russian coal magnate expands power business with Rushydro asset swap, Reuters, Sep. 26, 2019
- Акционеры ПАО «ДЭК» обменялись активами, RusHydro, Jun. 5, 2020
- Инвестиционная программа, Far Eastern Generating Company website, accessed Feb. 2014.