Provence power station
Provence power station is a 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Bouches-du-Rhône, France. It is also known as the Gardanne power station.
The undated satellite below shows the plant in Meyreuil, Aix-en-Provence.
The coal-fired power station originally consisted of three 55 MW units, commissioned in 1958 and retired in 1981. One 250 MW unit and one 600 MW unit, both coal-fired and referred to as units 4 and 5, were commissioned in 1967 and 1984, respectively.
Unit 4 was converted to a 170 MW unit fueled by biomass in 2015. As of 2015, the coal-fired unit 5 was planned to run until 2025.
In July 2019, Czech EPH successfully concluded its buy-out of Uniper's activities in France, including the Provence and Emile-Huchet power station. EPH planned to retire the coal plants in 2022, when France pledged to phase out coal power use.
In September 2020, Czech utility EPH announced it would close the plant at the end of the year, two years earlier than originally planned.
However, even though the plant has spent long periods of time not producing power because of employee strikes, it is not scheduled to close until June 2022.
Project Details of unit 5
- Sponsor: EPH
- Parent company: EPH
- Location: Meyreuil, Aix-en-Provence, Bouches-du-Rhône, France
- Coordinates: 43.469475, 5.487544 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 600 MW
- Start date: 1984
- Planned retirement date: June 2022
- Type: Subcritical
- Coal Type: Sub-bituminous
- Coal Source: Imported
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "Provence Coal Power Station France," GEO, accessed April 2016
- "Coal-Fired Plants in France," Industcards, accessed April 2016
- "E.ON Facts and Figures," E.ON SE, March 11, 2015
- "G7 coal phase out: France," E3G, September 15, 2015
- "Uniper signs agreements to sell its generation business and distribution activities in France to EPH|," Uniper, July 4, 2019
- "EPH announces plan to close its Provence coal plant a year after purchasing it," Europe Beyond Coal, September 11, 2020
- "Énergie : la France peut-elle se passer du charbon ?" RTL, April 20, 2021