Qinghai Wanxiang A&M power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Qinghai Wanxiang A&M power station (青海万象铝镁有限公司热电联产项目) is a proposed 700-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Qinghai Province, China.
With no developments since 2015, the plant appears to be cancelled. Additionally, in 2019 Qingahi province said it was planning a series of reforms to reduce coal power capacity and increase power company profits in the province, making it unlikely that any coal plants planned in Qinghai will be commissioned any time soon.
The map below shows the proposed location for the power station in Donghan Town.
Background on Project
As of 2014 China Tianrui Group was planning to build a two-unit coal-fired power plant with a total capacity of 700 MW in Qinghai Province. It was permitted in May 2015. The plant was scheduled to be completed in 2016.
Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
In January 2017 China's National Energy Administration proposed the suspension of over 100 planned and under-construction coal power projects with a total capacity of over 100GW in 13 provinces, including Qinghai Wanxiang A&M. It is unclear when or if the projects will be revived.
For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2017: Plant postponed by government
In July 2017, the NEA released the "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble". The Guideline included a draft list which slowed down or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling 107 GW. 114 coal units (65 GW) are ordered to slow down the construction progress during 2017 to 2020, and are not allowed to connect to the grid in 2017. In addition, 71 coal units (42 GW) were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. The list partly overlapped with the projects listed in the January NEA letter to 13 provinces.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
- Sponsor: China Tianrui Group
- Parent company:
- Location: Donghan Town, Dong Village, Huangzhong County, Xining Prefecture, Qinghai Province, China
- Coordinates: 36.568392, 101.487106 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 700 MW (Units 1 & 2: 350 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal type:
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "10台机组9停运，青海火电怎么了（记者调查）," people.cn, 2019年08月12日
- "“飞地经济”续建顺利复工", 新华网青海频道, 2014-07-03
- "中国电建签订青海万象铝镁热电联产项目EPC合同", 中铝网, 2014-03-11
- "关于青海万象铝镁有限公司2×350兆瓦热电联产项目环境影响报告书的批复," 青海省环境保护厅, 2015年04月17日
- "能源局下发13省市新建火电机组停建清单(附文件)," Polaris, Jan 16, 2017
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12