RDK (Karlsruhe) power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Germany and coal.|
RDK (Karlsruhe) power station, also known as the Rheinhafen power station, has 1,815 megawatts (MW) of generating capacity (1,462 MW coal-fired and 353 MW gas-fired) in the state of Baden-Württemberg, Germany.
The undated satellite below shows the power station in Karlsruhe.
The power station consisted of the following coal- and gas-fired units:
- Units 1 & 2: 64 MW each
- Units 3: 100 MW
- Unit 4S: 353 MW
- Units 5 & 6: 180 MW each
- Unit 7: 550 MW
- Unit 8: 912 MW
The first seven units were commissioned from 1955 to 1985, and unit 8 in 2014. Units 1 to 3 have been shut down since the 1980s; both oil and gas-fired units 5 and 6 are since 1993 in cold reserve, meaning they can start operating again after an interval. Unit 4S is a combined cycle natural gas-fired plant. The coal-fired power plant unit 7 has been used for intermediate load and coal-fired unit 8 for baseload.
In April 2008, Power in Europe listed the project status as being "tendering, proposed" with a notional commissioning date of 2011/2012. It also listed the installed capacity as being in the range of 890-912 megawatts with "400?" in brackets. The project was approved by the ENBW board in December 2006. The newsletter also noted that the company was also "actively investigating" a 400 megawatt combined cycle gas turbine plant on the same site. Both the projects are slated as replacement for nuclear power stations set to be retired.
According to a November 2012 report by Deutsche Umweltshilfe, the project was under construction with expected completion in 2013.
Financing for Unit 8
- Sponsor: EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG
- Parent company: nBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG
- Location: Karlsruhe, Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany
- Coordinates: 49.013306, 8.305416 (exact)
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 1815 MW
- Source of Funding: Unit 8: US$735.67 million in debt from the European Investment Bank
Articles and Resources
- "Fossil fuel" EnBW, accessed December 2019
- Das Rheinhafen-Dampfkraftwerk Karlsruhe, ENBW
- "Karlsruhe RDK 7 and 8 Power Plant Germany," GEO, accessed April 2016
- "PiE’s new power plant project tracker – April 2008", Power in Europe, Issue 523, April 7, 2008, page 21.
- "Projects of coal-fired power plants in Germany since 2007," Deutsche Umwelthilfe, November 2012
- "Power Plant Karlsruhe". www.eib.org. Retrieved 2020-10-08.
- "Coal-Fired Plants Financed by International Public Investment Institutions Since 1994". Environmental Defense Fund. Retrieved October 8, 2020.
- Kraftwerksliste, ID BNA0514 Bundesnetzagentur (German Federal Network Agency), version from August 2019
- Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) 529900JSFZ4TS59HKD79 Global Legal Entity Identifier Foundation, accessed January 2020
- Bundesnetzagentur - Kraftwerksliste