Ravenna LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Ravenna LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG import terminal in Italy currently under construction.
- Owner: Petrolifera Italo Rumena (51%), Edison S.p.A. (30%), Scale Gas Solutions (19%)
- Location: Port of Revenna, Italy
- Coordinates: 44.471734, 12.248134 (approximate)
- Capacity: .001 bcm/y
- Cost: €100 million / US$113 million
- Status: Construction
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2021
Note: bcm/y=billion cubic meters of LNG per year; mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Edison S.p.A. and Petrolifera Italo Rumena are planning to construct an LNG depot at the Port of Ravenna in Italy. The terminal, which will start to operate in 2021, will have a storage capacity of 20,000 cubic meters of LNG and will process more than 1 million cubic meters of LNG a year.
In May of 2018, construction began on the terminal. By October 2020, construction of the €100 million project had reached 70% completion with operations still expected to start in October of 2021.
Opposition groups have cited the low utilization rates of Italy's operating LNG terminals to call into question the necessity of such extensive LNG infrastructure in the country. According to Food and Water Europe's 2019 profile on Italy's gas use, "Between January 2012 and March 2019 all Italian LNG terminals were used at only ~31% of their capacity."
Articles and resources
- Pippa Luck, Edison joins Enagás in Mediterranean LNG deal Hydrocarbons Engineering, October 27, 2020
- "Al porto di Ravenna da ottobre 2021 operativo il primo deposito Gnl in Italia: capacità 20mila mc, investimento da 100 milioni". Ravenna & Dintorni. July 26, 2020.
- John Snyder, Floating LNG ratchets up in the Mediterranean, Riviera Maritime Media, Apr. 15, 2020
- "LE PROSPETTIVE DEL GAS NATURALE LIQUEFATTO E COMPRESSO NEI TRASPORTI (p 5)" (PDF). AssoCostieri. December 2, 2019.
- GIIGNL World Report 2019 GIIGNL, accessed August 5, 2019
- Ravenna LNG enters construction phase Ports Europe, accessed May 27, 2018
- Italy Food and Water Europe, accessed December 5, 2019