Republic Energy Mine
The Republic Energy Mining Complex of Raleigh County, West Virgina, is owned by Massey Energy and "consists of one surface mine. Direct-ship coal is trucked to various Kanawha River docks for barge delivery or to the Marfork Resource Group for rail delivery. Coal for processing is trucked to Mammoth Resource Group’s preparation plant for processing and barge delivery."
The complex is part of the Republic Energy Mountaintop Removal Mine. In April 2009, EPA issued objections to three more mountaintop removal mining permits pending issue from the Army Corps of Engineers, including the Republic Energy Mine. According to the EPA letters, the three mining operations would bury about eight miles of streams.
- MSHA ID: 4609054
- Operator: Elk Run Coal Co
- Controller: Massey Energy
- County: Fayette
- State: WV
- Latitude: 37.98
- Longitude: -81.35
- 2007 Production (short tons): 1,537,614
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Mining Method: Surface
- Mine Status: Active
- Average No. of Employees: 130
- Established/Acquired: 2004
- Recoverable Reserves: 38,209 thousands of tons
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- West Virginia and coal
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Massey Energy, "Mining Locations", Massey Energy website, accessed October 2009.
- Massey Energy, "Massey Energy 2008 10K", SEC Info, February 29, 2008.
- Ken Ward, Jr., "EPA objects to more mountaintop removal permits," Charleston Gazette, April 8, 2009.