São Marcos Bay LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
São Marcos Bay LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG Terminal in the state of Maranhão, Brazil.
- Owner: New Fortress Energy
- Location: Boqueirão channel, São Marcos Bay, Maranhão state, Brazil
- Coordinates: -2.550981, -44.378683 (approximate)
- Capacity: 21 million cubic metres per day (Mm3/day)
- Status: Proposed
- Type: Import
- Start Year:
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
The proposed terminal would be an FSRU (floating storage and regasification unit) located in São Marcos Bay, Maranhão state, Brazil. It would supply natural gas to two proposed new power plants, São Marcos I power station and São Marcos II power station, each with a capacity of 2.1 GW. The terminal would have a maximum regasification capacity of 21 million cubic meters per day.
In April 2021, New Fortress Energy acquired the terminal and power plant project from former owner Hygo Energy Transition (previously known as Golar Power). Golar Power filed for an environmental license for the project with IBAMA (Brazil's environmental regulatory authority) in 2018, with plans to compete in Brazil's A-6 energy auction in 2021.
Golar Power subsequently began looking at an alternative site for the terminal near the port of Itaqui, independent from the São Marcos power plants. Under this new arrangement, proposed in a 2020 letter of intent between Golar Energy and Companhia Maranhense de Gás, the terminal would bring in LNG shipments from New Fortress Energy's Sergipe FSRU and transfer them by truck to the interior of Maranhão state.
Articles and resources
- "Terminais de Regaseificação de GNL no Brasil: Panorama dos Principais Projetos (pp 32-33)" (PDF). EPE (Empresa de Pesquisa Energética). August 30, 2019.
- "Terminais de GNL no Brasil (pp 16-17)" (PDF). EPE (Empresa de Pesquisa Energética). October 2020.
- "New Fortress Energy acquires Hygo Energy and GMLP". Hydrocarbons Technology. April 16, 2021.
- "Golar compra participação da Eneva na UTE São Marcos". Brainmarket (in português). March 2021.
- "Porto de Sergipe I Power Project, Barra dos Coqueiros". Power Technology. Retrieved 2021-04-23.
- "Golar Power becomes Hygo Energy Transition - Offshore Energy". Offshore Energy. August 31, 2020.