Sŏngjin Steel Complex steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Sŏngjin Steel Complex (성진제강연합기업소 (Korean), 城津製鋼聯合企業所 (Chinese)) is an electric steel plant in Kimchaek, North Hamgyeong Province, North Korea.
The map below shows the location of the steel plant in Kimchaek, North Hamgyeong Province, North Korea.
Sŏngjin Steel Complex was constructed in 1914 while Korea was under Japanese rule from 1910 to 1945. The plant was destroyed in 1959 and rebuilt in 1961 with support from former USSR and China.
Steel for weapons development
In March 2020, Daily NK reported that North Korea is aiming to increase its production of steel for weapons development, with the goal of selling these weapons abroad for foreign currency.
The Kim Chaek steel and Sŏngjin steel complexes produce "juche steel" (steel produced from domestic, rather than imported coal and energy). Hwanghae Iron and Steel Complex steel plant was also tasked with producing "juche steel" in October 2018.
- Private/State ownership: state-owned (Ministry of Metal and Machine-Building Industries)
- Parent company: Government of North Korea
- Owner: Government of North Korea
- Alternative plant names: Seongjin Steel and Iron, Sungjin Iron Works, Kimchaek Works, Gimchaek Steel Mill, Seongjin Steel company (predecessor)
- Other language plant name: 성진제강연합기업소 (Korean), 城津製鋼聯合企業所 (Chinese)
- Location: Kimchaek, North Hamgyeong Province, North Korea
- GPS Coordinates: 40.711069, 129.233057 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 1914 (age 106–107)
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 100
- Steel product category: flat, long
- Steel products: plate, slab, bar, section, shape, beam
- Steelmaking process: electric
- Primary steel production equipment: 100 electric arc furnaces (EAF)
- Iron ore source: Musan mine (as of 2011)
- Coal source: Gogeonwon coal mine (as of 2011)
Articles and resources
- Kim Ch'aek Iron and Steel Complex, Nuclear Threat Initiative, Apr. 1, 2003 Retrieved on: May 27, 2020
- North Korea Handbook, Yonhap News Agency, Seoul, M.E. Sharpe, Dec. 27, 2002
- N. Korea ramps up steel production for weapons development, Jang Seul Gi, Daily NK, Mar. 19, 2020, Retrieved on: May 27, 2020
- Juche steel, Stephan Haggard (Peterson Institute for International Economics), Feb. 9, 2011, Retrieved on: May 27, 2020
- North Korea says self reliant iron facility will begin production, Elizabeth Shim, UPI, Oct. 1, 2018, Retrieved on: May 27, 2020
- Developments in Steelmaking Capacity of Non-OECD Economies 2013, OECD Publishing, Aug. 12, 2014
- North Korea Resources and Power, Encyclopedia Britannica, Retrieved on: May 27, 2020
- The Mining Industry of North Korea, Choi Kyung-soo, Nautilus Institute, Aug. 4, 2011, Retrieved on: May 27, 2020