SMC Mariveles power station
|This article is part of the GEM.wiki coverage of the The Philippines and coal|
SMC Mariveles Power Station is a proposed 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in the Freeport area of Bataan, Central Luzon, the Philippines.
The map below shows the Freeport area of Bataan, Central Luzon, the Philippines where the power station would be built. Satellite photography from Planet shows construction occurring between June 2020 and December 2020.
Background on Plant
The Philippine Department of Energy (DOE) approved the proposed plant for a grid impact study (GIS) in January 2015. In October 2018 the project's Environmental Impact Study (EIS) stated that it would consist of 8 x 150 MW units. In January 2019 SMC Global Power and Meralco announced that the plant would be built and operated by a joint venture firm, Mariveles Power Generation Corp. The project would be built on a 150-hectare property within the Mariveles Economic Zone of the Authority of the Freeport Area of Bataan in Barangay Biaan, Mariveles.
In August 2020 the DOE's list of initiated power projects in Luzon stated that construction of the project had begun and was 6% complete. This August 2020 report lists the project as 4 x 300 MW with a commissioning date of March 2022 for Unit 1, June 2022 for Unit 2, December 2022 for Unit 3, and March 2023 for Unit 4. However, the December 2020 update to the DOE's list of initiated power projects replaced the target commissioning dates for all four units to "TBD". This report also reported no progress on construction since July 2020.
The March 2021 DOE report now lists each of the four SMC Mariveles units as 150 MW, for a total capacity of 600 MW. This report also provides target completion dates of 2022 for Units 1-3 and 2023 for Unit 4.
October 2020 moratorium on greenfield coal plants
On October 27, 2020 the Philippine Department of Energy imposed a moratorium on the construction of new or "greenfield" power plants, meaning those which have yet to begin construction. SMC Global Power and Meralco subsequently confirmed that their planned greenfield coal plants were cancelled.
- Sponsor: Mariveles Power Generation
- Parent Company: SMC Global Power; Meralco
- Location: Freeport area, Bataan, Central Luzon, the Philippines
- Coordinates: 14.4493543 120.4322832 (exact)
- Status: Unit 1: Construction; Units 2-4: Pre-permit development
- Gross Capacity: 4 x 150 MW
- Projected in service: Units 1-3: 2022; Unit 4: 2023
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Indonesia; Philippines (Daguma mine and Semirara mine)
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- PRIVATE SECTOR INITIATED POWER PROJECTS (LUZON) COMMITTED, Philippine Department of Energy, 31 Aug., 2019
- Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) Summary for the Public for the Proposed Mariveles Coal Power Plant Project, Mariveles Power Generation Corporation, October 2018
- SMC-Meralco consortium investing P99b in coal plant, Manila Standard, Jan. 2, 2019
- PRIVATE SECTOR INITIATED POWER PROJECTS (LUZON) COMMITTED, Philippine Department of Energy, 31 Aug., 2020
- PRIVATE SECTOR INITIATED POWER PROJECTS (LUZON) COMMITTED, Philippine Department of Energy, 31 Dec., 2020
- LUZON INDICATIVE POWER PROJECTS, Philippines Department of Energy, Mar. 31, 2021
- Jordeene B. Lagare, DoE issues ban on new coal plants, Manila Times, Oct. 28, 2020
- Lenie Lectura, Major coal players to abide by D.O.E. ban on ‘new’ projects, Business Mirror, Oct. 29, 2020