Saikhan-Ovoo coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Saikhan-Ovoo Coal Mine (Mongolian: Сайхан Овоо, beautiful mound) is an underground coal mine in Bulgan Province, Mongolia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the approximate location of the underground mine site, in Saikhan District, Bulgan Province, Mongolia, to the north of Saikhan-Ovoo Mountain.
According to the Mongolian Mining Journal in 2012, geological assessment and drilling work on the Saikhan-Ovoo coal mine "were done in the central areas of the deposit in 1987-1999 and 34.7 million tons of coal was estimated". The Journal goes on to say that "Asian Coal Ltd., registered on the Hong Kong Stock Market, has an operation licence on Saikhan-Ovoo deposit with an estimated JORC reserve of 190 million tons. Their first-half report [of 2012] says that no work was done on the project for financial constraints. At that time, 500,000 tons of coal had so far been produced."
In June 2019, the company Asia Coal Ltd. was delisted from the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong, "because the Company failed to maintain sufficient operations or assets." It is unclear whether the company currently exists, or who currently owns the mine.
- Owner: Asia Coal Ltd. (no longer exists?)
- Parent company:
- Location: Saikhan District, Bulgan Province, Mongolia
- GPS coordinates: 48.805, 102.419444 (approximate)
- Mine status: Operating
- Production: Unclear (less than 1 MTPA)
- Mineable reserves: 34.7 mt
- Coal type: Coking coal
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Underground
- Start year:
- Life of Mine:
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- Saikhan-Ovoo coal mine, Wikipedia, accessed Apr. 2021.
- "Strategy on strategic mineral missing," Mongolia Mining Journal, 2012-09-27
- ANNOUNCEMENT - IN RELATION TO THE MATTER OF ASIA COAL LIMITED (INCORPORATED IN BERMUDA WITH LIMITED LIABILITY) (STOCK CODE: 835) CANCELLATION OF LISTING, The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Ltd, 13 June 2019.