Saline Joniche Power Station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Italy and coal.|
The Saline Joniche Power Station is a proposed 1320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant to be built on an unused industrial site in Saline Joniche, Calabria, Italy.
The map below shows Saline Joniche, the approximate location where the plant would be built.
The Saline Joniche plant was launched by SEI S.p.A., an Italian subsidiary of Swiss company Repower, with support from Italian business partners Hera S.p.A., Foster Wheeler Italiana S.p.A. and Apri Sviluppo S.p.A. Original plans called for coal to be transported direct to the plant by ship. The installation was designed to be able to process locally produced biomass in addition to burning coal.
An April 2012 survey conducted by the Italian firm ISPO on behalf of WWF Svizzera revealed strong local opposition to the Saline Joniche plant. However, on April 5, 2013, the Italian Ministry of the Environment cleared the way for the plant to proceed, issuing a positive environmental impact assessment for two coal-fired units at 660 MW capacity each.
In September 2013, a referendum in the Swiss canton of Graubünden, where plant developer Repower is based, resulted in a majority favoring "clean power without coal" and prompted Repower to announce a controlled withdrawal from the Saline Joniche project, to be completed no later than December 2015. As of early 2014, Italian environmental groups including Legambiente and Comitato Acqua Bene Comune had mounted an organized campaign calling for the withdrawal of Italian utility Hera S.p.A. from the project.
- Sponsor: SEI S.p.A.
- Parent company: Repower (main owner), Hera S.p.A., Foster Wheeler Italiana S.p.A. and Apri Sviluppo S.p.A (minority shares)
- Location: Saline Joniche, Calabria, Italy
- Coordinates: 37.934933,15.725 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity:
- Unit 1: 660 MW
- Unit 2: 660 MW
- Type: Ultra-Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type: Hard coal
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and Resources
- "L’opinione sul progetto della centrale a carbone di Saline Joniche" ISPO, April 23, 2012.
- "Valutazione d'Impatto Ambientale: Progetto Saline Joniche" Ministero dell'Ambiente website, accessed April 2014.
- "Saline Joniche coal-fired plant" Repower website, accessed April 2014.
- "Hera e la centrale a carbone di Saline Joniche: appello di Legambiente a Matteucci" Ravenna Notizie, March 27, 2014.
- "Hera esca dal progetto di centrale a carbone di Saline Joniche" Acqua Bene Comune website, accessed April 2014.
- "Saline Joniche, la centrale a carbone non si farà," WWF, December 6, 2016
- "Reggio Calabria, climber di Greenpeace sulla ciminiera: 'Italia fuori dall’era del carbone,'" IlFattoQuotidiano.it, Oct 7, 2016
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Italy and coal
- Europe and coal
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Carbon Capture and Storage demonstration projects worldwide
- Global use and production of coal