Salmisaari power station
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Salmisaari power station is an operating power station of at least 177-megawatts (MW) in Helsinki, Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Salmisaari power station||Helsinki, Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland||60.1654, 24.9045 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Phase B Unit 1: 60.165375, 24.904517
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Phase B Unit 1||operating||coal - bituminous||177 MW||subcritical||-||-|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Phase B Unit 1||Helsingin Energia||Helsingin Energia|
- Source of financing:
The 160 MW subcritical coal plant began operating in 1984.
In 2015, the plant was converted to burn both coal and wood pellets.
In December 2021, the Finnish capital announced that its energy company Helen was ready to shut down its plant ahead of schedule. More specifically, it would phase out coal more than 5 years earlier than initially planned, with the plant’s doors officially closing on April 1, 2024.
Articles and Resources
- "Coal-Fired Plants in Finland," Industcards, accessed April 2016
- "Salmisaari power plant," Helsingin Energia, accessed April 2016
- "Helen selvittää Salmisaaren voimalaitoksen kivihiilituotannon lopettamista viisi vuotta etuajassa - yt-neuvotteluihin yli 400 henkeä," Kuntatekniikka, November 1, 2021
- https://www.districtenergy.org/blogs/district-energy/2021/12/22/helsinkis-salmisaari-power-plant-to-stop-using-coa "Helsinki’s Salmisaari power plant to stop using coal 5 years ahead of schedule,"] District Energy, December 2021
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.