Gioia Tauro LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Gioia Tauro LNG Terminal, also known as LNG Medgas, is a proposed LNG terminal in Reggio Calabria Province, Italy. Due to the scarcity of news about the project in recent years, it is presumed to be shelved.
The map below shows where the LNG jetty and bunkering facility would be located, at Gioia Tauro Port, in Reggio Calabria Province, Calabria Region. The LNG tanks would be located further east, on the other side of the port.
- Owner: LNG Medgas Terminal s.r.l.
- Parent: Iren Group, Sorgenia
- Location: Gioia Tauro Port, Reggio Calabria Province, Calabria Region, Italy
- Coordinates: 38.46692, 15.90774 (exact)
- Capacity: 8.6 mtpa, 1.23 bcfd
- Status: Shelved
- Type: Import
- Start Year: Unknown
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Gioia Tauro LNG Terminal is a proposed liquefied natural gas (LNG) regasification terminal in Calabria, Italy. It is a project of LNG Medgas, a joint venture of Italian firms IRIDE (a subsidiary of the Iren Group) and Sorgenia. The project would cost about $1.7 billion.
As of September 2017, the project had "progressed at a glacial pace," but was apparently not dead, with company officials still pushing for the project — and pushing for EU funds to help subsidize it.
In October 2020 Medgas Italia's 29.22% stake in the project was scheduled to be auctioned off in bankruptcy court for € 6.8 million, implying that the project might still be revived. Meanwhile, as of January 2021, Italian gas distributor Snam's latest 10-year development plan (2020-2029) continues to specifically list the terminal as "authorized." However, with no further concrete developments since late 2017, the project is presumed to be shelved.
Articles and resources
- Il terminale LNG Medgas di Gioia Tauro, San Ferdinando e Rosarno: un’opportunità di sviluppo per il GNL nei trasporti marittimi, LNG Medgas Terminal presentation, 10 Oct. 2016.
- Gioia Tauro MedGas LNG Terminal, A Barrel Full, accessed April 2017.
- Rigassificatore LNG Medgas, Atlante Italiano dei Conflitti Ambientali, accessed July 2017.
- Studio di Impatto Ambientale (Environmental Impact Study), LNG Medgas Terminal, Oct. 2005.
- "Il Terminale di Rigassificazione di Gioia Tauro, San Ferdinando, Rosarno" (PDF). LNG Medgas Terminal. March 2015.
- Gioia Tauro, The Green Light for the LNG Given by the Port Committee, SNAM press release, 22 Mar. 2013.
- "LNG Medgas torna a spingere sul rigassificatore di Gioia Tauro". Ship2Shore. September 19, 2017.
- "Gnl, in vendita 29,22% del progetto di Gioia Tauro". Staffetta Quotidiana. July 1, 2020.
- "Portale Vendite Pubbliche - LOTTO UNICO". pvp.giustizia.it. October 2020.
- "Piano decennale di sviluppo della rete di trasporto del gas naturale 2020-2029" (PDF). Snam Rete Gas S.p.A. January 31, 2020.