Santa Cruz Norte Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Santa Cruz Norte Gas Pipeline, known locally as Gasoducto Santa Cruz Norte, is a proposed gas pipeline in Santa Cruz province, Argentina.
The pipeline would start at a junction with the San Martín Pipeline near Pico Truncado and run west to Perito Moreno and Los Antiguos.
- Owner: Distrigas, S.A.
- Parent company:
- Length: 320 km / 199 miles
- Status: Proposed
- Start Year:
The 320-kilometer Gasoducto Santa Cruz Norte was originally announced in January 2005 in conjunction with Phase 2 of the Gasoducto Santa Cruz Sur and scheduled for completion between 2006 and 2009. Both projects were designed to bring natural gas to western Santa Cruz province. While the Santa Cruz Sur project proceeded as scheduled, the Santa Cruz Norte pipeline has suffered multiple delays. As of January 2019, all work on the project had been suspended, with project developer BTU under investigation for alleged overpricing, corruption, and irregularities related to the "disappearance" of 950 million Argentine pesos intended for the pipeline project.
In July 2020, Argentina's natural gas regulatory agency ENARGAS listed the Gasoducto Santa Cruz Norte as a top priority among several dormant gas pipeline projects that the national government plans to revive. The proposed pipeline will still bring natural gas to communities in western Santa Cruz province including Perito Moreno and Los Antiguos. However, there is no projected date for the pipeline's commissioning, and other project details including capacity and route remain unclear. While the pipeline was originally designed to start at a junction with the San Martín pipeline near Pico Truncado (Santa Cruz province), more recent reports call for it to start further north at Río Mayo (Chubut province).
Articles and resources
- "Proyecto de Resolución: Sistema de Expansión de Gasoductos en la Provincia de Santa Cruz – Etapa III" (PDF). Diputados Argentina. 2020.
- "El Calafate tendrá gas natural". La Capital. August 20, 2006.
- "El gasoducto para Perito y Los Antiguos sigue esperando". La Opinión Austral. January 2, 2019.
- "El titular del Enargas confirmó que retomarán la obra del Gasoducto Norte en Santa Cruz". La Opinión Austral. July 6, 2020.
- "El ENARGAS procura reactivar obras para expandir el servicio". Energía y Negocios. July 6, 2020.