Satpura Thermal Power Station
Satpura Thermal Power Station is an existing 1,330-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Madhya Pradesh, India.
Existing Plant location
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Sarni village, Betul district.
Location of Expansion (Units 10-11)
Units 10 and 11 are located adjacent to the east side of the older plant site.
Location of coal handling and ash disposal
A large coal ash disposal site is located about 1 km west of Sarni. A coal handling plant is located northwest of Sarni, between Sarni and the adjacent town of Pathakhera.
Existing power station
The first five units were retired in 2012 to 2014. The remaining six units add up to 1,330 MW.
|Stage||Unit Number||Installed Capacity (MW)||Date of Commissioning||Status||TG set Provider||Boiler Provider|
|First||1||62.5||October,1967||Decommissioned 2014 January||GE, USA||The Babcock & Wilcox Company (B&W), USA|
|First||2||62.5||March,1968||Decommissioned 2013 December||GE, USA||The Babcock & Wilcox Company (B&W), USA|
|First||3||62.5||May,1968||Decommissioned 2012 October||GE, USA||The Babcock & Wilcox Company (B&W), USA|
|First||4||62.5||July,1968||Decommissioned 2013 December||GE, USA||The Babcock & Wilcox Company (B&W), USA|
|First||5||62.5||April,1970||Decommissioned 2013 February||GE, USA||The Babcock & Wilcox Company (B&W), USA|
|Second||6||200||July,1979||Running||BHEL, India||BHEL, India|
|Second||7||210||September,1980||Running||BHEL, India||BHEL, India|
|Second||8||210||January,1983||Running||BHEL, India||BHEL, India|
|Second||9||210||February, 1984||Running||BHEL, India||BHEL, India|
|Second||10||250||March, 2013||Running||BHEL, India||BHEL, India|
|Second||11||250||December, 2013||Running||BHEL, India||BHEL, India|
The plant was expanded with the addition of two 250MW units to the existing power station The first unit, Unit 10, was commissioned in March 2013. The second unit, Unit 11, was commissioned in December 2013.
Proposed Unit 12 expansion
A terms of reference (the initial step toward an environmental permit) for a proposed Unit 12 of 660MW was granted in May 2013.
Sponsor: M.P. Power Generating Company
Location: Sarni village, Betul district, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Units 1-9: 22.1107004, 78.1738615 (exact)
- Units 10-11: 22.1081334, 78.1770721 (exact)
- Coal ash disposal site and coal handling plant: 22.1091796, 78.1561804 (exact)
- Units 1-5: Retired
- Units 6-11: Operating
- Unit 12: Pre-permit development
- Units 1-5: 62.5 MW each
- Unit 6: 200 MW
- Units 7-9: 210 MW each
- Units 10-11: 250 MW each
- Unit 12: 660 MW
- Units 10 and 11: Environmental clearance, India MoEF, Feb 27, 2009
- Unit 12: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, May 9, 2013
Articles and Resources
- Madhya Pradesh Power Generating Co, "Satpura Thermal Power Station,Sarni", Madhya Pradesh Power Generating Co website, accessed December 2011.
- "Satpura (Sarni) STPS Coal Power Station India," GEO, accessed May 2016
- Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country, Central Electricity Authority, August 2013
- "Monthly Report on Broad Status of Thermal Power Projects in the Country," Government of India Ministry of Power, March 2016
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, May 9, 2013.
- Form 1, India MoEF, October 7, 2019
- "Proposed ToR," Government of India, October 2019
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Tata Power
- Tata Ultra Mega
- India and nuclear power
- U.S.- India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Initiative
- Global use and production of coal
- Proposed coal plants in India