Sebei-Xining-Lanzhou Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Sebei-Xining-Lanzhou Gas Pipeline (涩宁兰输气管线) is an operating natural gas pipeline.
The pipeline runs from Seibei in Qinghai Province through Xining to Lanzhou, Gansu Province.
- Operator: PetroChina
- Parent Company: China National Petroleum Corporation
- Current Capacity: 2 billion cubic meters per year
- Proposed capacity:
- Length: 578 miles / 930 kilometers
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2001
The Parallel Pipeline
In September 2008, a parallel pipeline, Sebei-Xining-Lanzhou parallel Gas Pipeline, routing the same route of the existing pipeline began construction, and completed in September 2010.The parallel line added capacity of 3.4 billion cubic meters per year to the pipeline.
The pipeline was opposed by the Tibetan Government in Exile, led by the Dalai Lama, and pro-Tibet campaign groups around the world, who called it a political project whose goal was to consolidate Chinese control of Tibet. Pro-Tibet groups also opposed the pipeline on the grounds that it would damage the environment and deplete Tibet's natural resources, but provide few benefits to local residents.
BP Investment in PetroChina
In April 2000 BP purchased $560 million in shares of PetroChina on the New York Stock Exchange, making it PetroChina's biggest foreign investor. During construction of the pipeline by CNPC, BP was criticized for being complicit in Chinese human rights violations in Tibet through its investment in PetroChina. In January 2001 BP shareholders filed two resolution on the subject of PetroChina. The first asked BP Amoco “to engage with the board of companies in which BP has strategic investments to promote the implementation of [environmental and human rights] standards consistent with BP’ s own.” The second asked BP Amoco to divest itself of its stake in PetroChina. This second resolution was put to a vote at the BP sharedholders meeting on April 19, 2001, and received 5.2% support.
Articles and resources
- Seibei Xining Lanzhou Gas Pipeline, A Barrel Full, accessed March 2018
- China’s Natural Gas Industry and Gas to Power Generation , IEEJ, July 2007
- 中国石油涩宁兰输气管道全线投入运行 中国石油天然气股份有限公司, October 17, 2001
- 中石油涩宁兰复线管道工程全线建成投产中国能源网, 2010-09-28
- 关于涩宁兰输气管道复线工程竣工环境保护验收合格的函 Ministry of Environmental Protection, Oct 2015
- Tibetan pipeline row dents BP's new image, The Guardian, Apr. 19, 2001
- BP’s PetroChina Problem(Archive), Trillium Asset Management, Apr. 11, 2001
- SHAREHOLDER REQUISITIONED MEETINGS AND RESOLUTIONS , Clifford Chance LLP, May 2007