Shandan power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of China and coal|
Shandan power station (山丹花草滩低热值煤发电项目) is a proposed 700-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Gansu province, China.
The undated satellite photo below shows the proposed location for the plant in Shandan County, Zhangye Prefecture.
Background on Plant
The proposed 600 MW power station for the city of Zhangye was approved by the Gansu province to carry out preparatory work in 2014.
2016: Nationwide Restrictions Imposed on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity
Due to new restrictions announced during 2016 by the National Energy Administration and the National Development and Reform Commission, further capacity expansions at this location appear to be on hold or cancelled. For details, see China's 2016 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
July 2017: Plant halted by government
In July 2017 China's NEA released the "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble". The Guideline included a draft list which slowed down or halted 185 coal-burning units across 21 provinces, totaling 107 GW. 114 coal units (65 GW) are ordered to slow down the construction progress during 2017 to 2020, and are not allowed to connect to the grid in 2017. In addition, 71 coal units (42 GW) were halted indefinitely for regulation violations. The list partly overlapped with the projects listed in the January NEA letter to 13 provinces.
For more information, see China's 2016/2017 Restrictions on Development of Coal-Fired Power Capacity.
2018: Plant cancelled
Plans for the plant were formally called off by China's National Energy Administration (NEA) in July 2018. The NEA said the project violated both its July 2017 "Guideline of Supply-Side Reform of the Coal Power Bubble" and its 201 traffic light policy, which issued Gansu a red light, meaning no new coal plant construction is allowed.
- Sponsor: Shandan Huize Energy-Saving Power Co., Ltd. 山丹县汇泽节能电力有限责任公司
- Owner: Gansu Fenghui Mining Co., Ltd. 甘肃丰汇矿业有限责任公司
- Parent company: Shaanxi HuangHe mining(Group) Co., Ltd., 陕西黄河矿业（集团）有限责任公司
- Location: Laojun Town, Huacaotan, Shandan, Zhangye, Gansu province, China
- Coordinates: 38.603023, 101.409716 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross capacity: 700 MW (Units 1 & 2: 350 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal type: Waste coal
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "张掖市：山丹县2×30万千瓦低热值煤发电项目获批," CFB资讯, July 9, 2014
- "山丹花草滩低热值煤发电项目省发改委核准," 张掖日报, 2016-03-23
- "山丹花草滩低热值煤发电项目," Shandan.gov, May 13, 2016
- "16部委联合发文防范化解煤电产能过剩风险," Sohu.com, 2017-08-03
- "2017年分省煤电停建和缓建项目名单," Sohu, 2017-10-12
- "对十三届全国人大一次会议第5336号建议的答复（公开摘要）," 国能建电力〔2018〕79号, 2018-07-19
- "山丹县汇泽节能电力有限责任公司 - 企查查". www.qcc.com. Retrieved 2021-05-06.