Shantou LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Shantou LNG Terminal （汕头LNG接收站）is a proposed LNG terminal in Guangdong, China.
- Sponsor: Guangdong Yudean Shantou LNG Co., Ltd. （广东粤电汕头液化天然气有限公司）
- Owner: Guangdong Energy Group Natural Gas Co., Ltd. (广东省能源集团天然气有限公司) 51%; Shantou Sailuo Energy Co., Ltd. (汕头市赛洛能源有限公司) 41%，Shantou Yuexin Asset Investment Co., Ltd. (汕头市粤鑫资产投资有限公司) 8%.
- Parent: Guangdong Energy Group (广东省能源集团)
- Location: Guang’ao Island, Nan’ao Island, Haojiang District, Shantou, Guangdong, China
- Coordinates: 23.228707, 116.771504 (approximate)
- Capacity: 3 mtpa, 0.43 bcfd
- Status: Proposed
- Type: Import
- Start Year:
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Shantou LNG Terminal is a proposed LNG terminal in Guangdong, China.
A binding agreement was signed in 2011 for Australia’s Icon Energy to supply China’s Shantou Sinogas Energy with LNG over 20 years beginning in 2016. SinoEnergy proposed a LNG terminal on Nan’ao Island with a receiving capacity of 3 mtpa. Both parties have extended the completion deadline for a gas sales agreement between the two companies until June 2018.
In 2011, China Guodian ( it was merged into National Energy Group in 2017) was interested in building an LNG terminal in Shantou. The project's name was Nan'ao LNG terminal (南澳LNG接收站).
In 2015, the government of Haojiang District, Shantou and China Huadian Group Clean Energy Co signed binding agreement to jointly develop Shantou LNG terminal. The receiving capacity would be 1.5 mtpa. 
In 2016, the city government of Shantou signed investment agreement with Yudean Group (changed name to Guangdong Energy Group in 2019) and its partners to jointly invest and build Shantou LNG terminal. The proposed receiving capacity would be 3 mtpa, and the estimated investment would be 6.6 billion yuan ($ 1 billion).
In 2018, it was reported the project was facing challenges on sea source usage. 
In 2021, Shantou Communication Bureau expressed the determination to accelerate the preliminary work of the Yudean Shantou LNG terminal project during the period of 14th Five-Year-Plan.
Articles and resources
- Shantou LNG Terminal, A Barrel Full, accessed April 2017
- Australian explorer Icon signs deal to supply LNG to China, Christine Forster, S&P Global Platts, March 2011
- Icon, Shantou Sino Energy extend LNG deal deadline, LNG World News, June 2015
- "南澳LNG接收站明年开工-汕头日报-手机知网". wap.cnki.net. 2011-3-30. Retrieved 2021-03-29. Check date values in:
- "年产150万吨LNG接收站落户广东汕头濠江-国际燃气网". gas.in-en.com. 2015-05-13. Retrieved 2021-03-29.
- "粤电与汕头市签LNG接收站投资协议-国际燃气网". gas.in-en.com. 2016-09-01. Retrieved 2021-03-29.
- "【天然气】总投资110亿！区领导召开粤电LNG项目协调会破解落地难题". www.hqhunt.com. 2018-01-22. Retrieved 2021-03-29.
- "迎头赶上 谱写"十四五"高质量发展新篇 - 汕头日报 - 汕头经济特区报社大华网". strb.dahuawang.com (in 中文). 2021-03-05. Retrieved 2021-03-29.