Sheerness power station
Sheerness power station is a 780-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Alberta, Canada.
In May 2017 ATCO announced it planned to transition the power plant to burn natural gas by 2020, saying it would save money.
The undated satellite photo below shows the Sheerness power station, located 200 kilometers northeast of Calgary near Hanna, Alberta.
The power plant’s two generating units produce 5.5 million megawatt-hours of energy annually. Each unit consists of one boiler, a turbine and a generator.
The Sheerness cooling pond, which is filled from the Red Deer River, which is also the main source of water for the town of Hanna and surrounding communities, irrigation water for farmers, and a recreation area.
In February 2019 ATCO applied to the Alberta Utilities Commission to convert the plant to run on gas by 2020.
On a November 2020 call with TransAlta shareholders the President of TransAlta Renewables John Kousinioris said that the timeline for converting the station to run on gas was 2021 or possibly later.
The conversion of Sheerness Unit 1 to gas was completed in early 2021, and the unit returned to service on March 21, 2021. As of May 2021, the conversion of unit 2 is underway, with expected completion in the second quarter of 2021.
TransAlta pays for pro-coal research by University of Alberta
In July 2018 it was reported that TransAlta paid the University of Alberta $54,000 in 2015 to hand-pick a professor to generate pro-coal research and talking points to be used in lobbying government officials.
- Owner: Heartland Generation Ltd.
- Parent Company: Energy Capital Partners
- Plant Nameplate Capacity: 780 MW
- Status: Unit 1: Retired (converted to gas); Unit 2: Operating
- In Service: Unit 1: 1978-2021 (Retired); Unit 2: 1980-present
- Location: Hanna, AB
- GPS Coordinates: 51.442222, -111.792222 (exact)
- Coal Consumption:
- Coal Source:
- Number of Employees:
Articles and Resources
- "Alberta could be coal-free years ahead of deadline as ATCO plans natural gas transition by 2020," Financial Post, May 11, 2017
- "Sheerness" TransAlta Company Website, accessed April 30, 2010.
- ATCO applies to convert Sheerness to natural gas, Drumheller Mail, Feb. 13, 2019
- Canadian Utilities sells Canadian generation business, World Coal, Oct. 1, 2019
- TransAlta Corp (TAC) Q3 2020 Earnings Call Transcript, The Motley Fool, Nov. 5, 2020
- TransAlta Reports Strong First Quarter 2021 Results led by Exceptional Performance at Alberta Hydro, PR Newswire, May 13, 2021
- How TransAlta used a university-sanctioned research project to lobby for the coal industry, CBC, Jul. 24, 2018
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Phuong Le, "Wash. says deal will cut pollution at coal plant," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, September 10, 2009.
- Kathy Durbin, "Sierra Club Organizes Effort to Close Coal Fired Plant in Centralia," The Columbian, April 25, 2010