Shell's Barendrecht Carbon Capture and Storage Project
Shell is proposing to bury 400,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide a year from its Pernis oil refinery in the Netherlands in two depleted gas fields under the town of Barendrecht. Shell states that the fields have the capacity to store up to 10 million tonnes of carbon dioxide.
In November 2010, Dutch Minister of Economic Affairs, Agriculture and Innovation Maxime Verhagen announced Shell's decision to cancel the project: "The delay of the CO2 storage project for more than 3 years and the complete lack of local support are the main reasons to stop." She said the relatively small project in Barendrecht was no longer essential. The project planned to store the 10 million tons of CO2 over a period of 25 years from Shell's Pernis refinery. Local opposition to the plan, which residents feared would endanger the town and lead to a fall in house prices, had already caused delays. An project offshore and one in the north of the country were still planned, Verhagen said.
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Carbon Capture and Storage in Australia
- Carbon Capture and Storage in Canada
- Carbon Capture and Storage in China
- Carbon Capture and Storage in India
- Carbon Capture and Storage in Europe
- Carbon Capture and Storage in the United Kingdom
- Carbon Capture and Storage in the United States
- Clean Development Mechanism and Carbon Capture and Storage
- Carbon Capture and Storage Demonstration Project (United Kingdom)
- CO2 Capture Project (United States)
- C02CRC Otway Project (Australia)
- CO2SINK (Germany)
- Global Carbon Capture and Storage Institute
- Hydrogen Energy
- Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate Technology Action Plan: Carbon Capture, Use, and Storage
- National Carbon Capture Center
- North American Carbon Capture and Storage Partnership
- North American Carbon Atlas
- Peterhead Carbon Capture and Storage project
- The Australian Coal Association's Proposed Carbon Capture and Storage Taskforce
- West Coast Regional Carbon Sequestration Partnership (United States)
- Weyburn-Midale CO2 Monitoring and Storage Project (Canada)
- ZeroGen, Queensland, Australia
- Guy Chazen, "Shell's Plan to Lead in Storage of Carbon Dioxide Hits a Snag", Wall Street Journal, April 21, 2009.
- Martine Pauwel, "Shell CO2 stocking plans under fire", AFP, January 2, 2010.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|