Shubarkol coal mines
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Shubarkol coal mines are a pair of open-pit surface mines, operated by Shubarkol Komir JSC, a subsidiary of ERG Eurasian Group, producing 11.3 million tonnes per annum, near Karaganda, Kazakhstan.
The below map shows the location of the Severny mine near the Bogatyr coal mine in Ekibastuz, Kazakhstan.
Shubarkol sells its coal to more than 30 companies, primarily ERG companies (Aluminium of Kazakhstan JSC, SSGPO JSC, TNC Kazchrome JSC, and Transcom LLP):
• 1.3 Mt (13%) of coal sales sold to the internal ERG companies; • 3.4 Mt (34%) in Europe to traders, primarily to TELF AG; • 3 Mt (30%) in Kazakhstan; • 1.5 Mt (15%) in Russia; • Less than 1 Mt (9%) sold in Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan.
- Sponsor: Shubarkol Komir JSC
- Parent Company: ERG Eurasian Group
- Location: Karaganda, Kazakhstan
- GPS Coordinates:49.017346, 68.614549 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production: 11.3 million tonnes per year
- Total Resource:1.5 billion tonnes
- Mineable Reserves: 405.6 million tonnes
- Coal Type: Bituminous (semi coking, thermal).
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: surface, open pit
- Start Year: 1985
- Source of Financing:
- Number of employees: 2800
Articles and resources
- Shubarkol Komir JSC, Company Website, accessed September 2020
- SRK Consulting, Subsoil Report, KASE, August 2018, page 16.
- Shubarkol Komir coal mine in Kazakhstan expands Hitachi mining fleet, IM International Mining, February 12, 2016