Silver Bay Power Plant
Silver Bay Power Plant is a 131.6-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station owned and operated by Cleveland-Cliffs near Silver Bay, Minnesota.
- Owner: Northshore Mining Company
- Parent Company: Cleveland-Cliffs
- Plant Nameplate Capacity: 131.6 MW (Megawatts)
- Units and In-Service Dates: Unit 1: 50.0 MW (1955), Unit 2: 81.6 MW (1962)
- Location: 10 Outer Dr., Silver Bay, MN 55614
- GPS Coordinates: 47.286684, -91.260582
- Technology: Subcritical
- Coal type: Sub-bituminous
- Coal Consumption:
- Coal Source: Antelope Coal Mine (Cloud Peak)
- Number of Employees:
- Unit Retirements:
According to the EIA 860 database both units are listed as "(OS) Out of service and NOT expected to return to service in next calendar year". 
Iron Ore Mine
This power plant provides power to Cleveland-Cliffs' Silver Bay iron ore mine.
- 2006 CO2 Emissions: 993,306 tons
- 2006 SO2 Emissions:
- 2006 SO2 Emissions per MWh:
- 2006 NOx Emissions:
- 2005 Mercury Emissions:
Articles and Resources
- Existing Electric Generating Units in the United States, 2005, Energy Information Administration, accessed Jan. 2009.
- Environmental Integrity Project, "Dirty Kilowatts: America’s Most Polluting Power Plants", July 2007.
- Facility Registry System, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, accessed Jan. 2009.
- Carbon Monitoring for Action database, accessed Feb. 2009.