Simlong coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Simlong (Expansion) Opencast Project is a 2.3 MTPA opencast mine located in the villages of Litipara, Jordiha & Kunjbona, District Pakur, Jharkhand, India.
The satellite image below shows the area of the mine in Simlong, Palur District, Maharashtra.
Background on Mine
The Simlong (Expansion) Opencast Project is located in villages Litipara, Jordiha & Kunjbona, District Pakur, Jharkhand state, India.. The coal is primarily meant for NTPC Kahalgaon Thermal Power Plant, in Bihar.
Simlong Colliery is a working opencast coal mine under the administrative control of Rajmahal Area of ECL within an area of 28 Ha, taken over from pre- nationalisation period. The project area falls in the Littipara Block of the Pakur District of Jharkhand. The Simlong (Expansion) Opencast Project of 2.3 MTPA was proposed after the mine reached a critical stage as there was no land in possession for outside OB dumping. Thus, a proposal for the expansion of mine over an area of 337.74 Ha with an increased capacity of 2.3 MTPA was proposed and submitted to the MoEF&CC for environemtn clearance. The project involved displacement from five villlages of Simlong, Jhapani (Simlong Pahar), Bara Murjora (small part of land only), Bara Ghagri & Chhota Ghagri (small part). Total number of Oustees are 823 and PAFs to be resettled 165 as per 2011 Census. The compensation to be provided against displacement from land and homestead was proposed to be as per R & R Policy of Coal India, 2012 for which the Public Hearing was held on 24 September 2013.
- Sponsor: Eastern Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India Limited
- Location: villages Litipara, Jordiha & Kunjbona, District Pakur, Jharkhand state, India
- GPS coordinates: Latitude 24.7425, 24.7652778 Longitude 87.44166666666668, 87.47722222222222
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 2.3 MTPA
- Total Resource: 90.19 MTA
- Mineable Reserves: 38.80 MT
- Coal Type: Coal Grade D-G
- Mine Size: 246.5 Ha
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Start Year: 1980-81
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications: Environment Clearance for Simlong (Expansion) Opencast Project, MoEF&CC India, 24 December 2014
- Size of Expansion:
- Permits and Applications:
Articles and Resources
- Environment Clearance for Simlong (Expansion) Opencast Project, MoEF&CC India, 24 December 2014
- Environment Management Plan submitted to MoEF&CC as per ToR granted, CMPDI, October 2013
Related GEM.wiki articles