Singrauli coal mines
The Singrauli coal mines are a 70 million ton-per-annum (MTPA) network of mines on the Singrauli coalfield in Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh states, India.
The map below shows the location of the existing Singrauli coal mines, in the Singrauli district of Madhya Pradesh state and the Sonbhadra district of Uttar Pradesh state.
Background on Mine
Northern Coalfields Limited was separated from Central Coalfields Limited (both subsidiaries of state-owned Coal India) in 1985, solely for the purpose of taking over operations on the Singrauli coalfield. The current surface coal mines are on the Moher sub-basin of the Singrauli coalfield, which is only 312 sq km in size. The main Singrauli basin, which is 1,890 sq km in size and is located further to the west, is largely unexplored.
Numerous existing and proposed coal power plants are sited in the two districts in which this coalfield is found: Bina Thermal Power Project, Chitrangi Power Project, Gorgi power station, Jaypee Nigrie Super Thermal Power Project, Mahan Super Thermal Power Project, Sasan Ultra Mega Power Project, and Vindhyachal power station in Singrauli district of Madhya Pradesh, and Anpara thermal power station, Anpara-C power station, Anpara-D power station, Churk captive power station, Obra Thermal Power Station, Renusagar power station, Rihand power station, and Singrauli Super Thermal Power Station in Sonbhadra district of Uttar Pradesh. If all these projects are completed as planned, the two districts will have 30 GW of coal-fired generating capacity in total.
NCL plans to expand production at Singrauli to 81.5 MTPA by 2020.
- Sponsor: Northern Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India
- Location: Singrauli district of Madhya Pradesh state and Sonbhadra district of Uttar Pradesh state, India
- Coordinates: 24.165, 82.655 (approximate) (24.11-24.22 N, 82.54-82.77 E)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 70 MTPA
- Reserves: 14,835 MT (6,823 MT proven, 6,107 MT indicated, 1,906 MT inferred)
- In service:
- Coal type:
- Mining method: Surface
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- About NCL, Northern Coalfields Limited website, accessed May 2015.
- CMM Project Opportunity: Moher Sub-Basin, Singrauli Coalfield, Northern Coalfields Limited, accessed May 2015.
- Coal Directory of India 2012-13, Ministry of Coal, 2014, p. 2.9-2.11.