Sithe Shade Township Project
In January 2008, Sithe announced plans to build a waste coal plant in Shade Township, Pennsylvania. The waste coal would come primarily from PBS Coal’s Shade Preparation Plant. An air pollution permit was submitted to the state Department of Environmental Protection in December 2007.
In August, 2008, the Sierra Club reported that the project was on hold due to lack of a financial partner but that project managers would continue to seek permits.
On February 3, 2009, the Pennsylvania DEP denied Sithe's application for an air quality permit, because the application was incomplete. Sithe Global may still reapply for the permit.
Sponsor: Sithe Global Power
Location: Shade Township, PA
Capacity: 300 MW
Type: Circulating fluidized bed
Projected in service: 2013
Status: on hold
- Energy Justice Network, Mike Ewall, catalyst [at] actionpa.org
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Pennsylvania and coal
- United States and coal
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- US proposed coal plants (both active and cancelled)
- Coal plants cancelled in 2007
- Coal plants cancelled in 2008
- State-by-state guide to information on coal in the United States (or click on the map)