Sivas Kangal coal mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Turkey and coal.|
The Sivas Kangal coal mine is an opencast mine, operated by Demir Export, producing up to 8 million tonnes per annum for the mine-mouth Kangal power station in Hamal, Sivas, Turkey.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine and power station in Hamal, Turkey
In 1989, TKI transferred the ownership and operation of the Kangal coal mine to EÜAŞ. EÜAŞ signed a contract with Koç Holding subsidiary Demir Export to operate the mine and transport the produced coal to the nearby Kangal power station the same year. 1989 was also the year when the fırst unit of the Kangal power station became operational. After the Kangal power station was privatized in 2013, Demir Export won a second tender to operate the mine.Demir Export delivered 8 million tonnes of coal from mine to plant, between September 2013 and November 2014.
In January 2020, Kangal was one of five plants closed by the government under Environmental Law 2872 for failing to install a more effective air filtration system. The other closed plants were Afşin-Elbistan A, Kütahya Seyitömer, Kütahya Tunçbilek, and Zonguldak Çatalağzı. In late January 2020 it was reported that one unit of Kangal had resumed operating after installing a new flue gas filtration system and being granted a "temporary activity certificate."
- Sponsor: Demir Export
- Parent company:
- Location: Hamal, Sivas, Turkey
- Coordinates: 39.0777, 37.2955 (exact)
- Status: operating
- Capacity: 8 MTPA
- Coal type: lignite
- Mine size:
- Mineable reserve:
- Start date: 1989
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "TBMM'de Görüşülmekte Olan Torba Kanun İle Halkimizin Elinde Kalan Son Varliklari Olan TTK Ve TKİ Özelleştirilerek Yok Edilecektir". Maden. May 10, 2017. Retrieved June 18, 2021.
- "Tarihçe". Demir Export. Retrieved June 18, 2021.
- Demir Export, Coal Mine Enterprises, accessed, May 4, 2020
- 5 thermal power plants that did not install filters and did not take flue gas treatment measures were completely closed, BBC, Jan. 2, 2020
- Kangal Termik Santrali'nda üretim sürprizi, Haberturk, Jan. 28, 2020