Slavyansk power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Ukraine and coal.|
Slavyansk power station is a 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Ukraine.
The undated satellite photo below shows the power station in Halych Raion.
Background on existing plant
Slavyansk was developed in two phases: five 100-MW sets followed by a pair of 800-MW units. They were built from 1954-1971, and are fueled by coal, oil, and natural gas. By 2012, only two of the 100-MW units (Units 4-5) and one 800-MW unit (Unit 7) was in service.
The 800 MW unit was damaged by shelling in 2014, and was restored to run at 400 MW in 2015.
Slavyansk power station II
Since 2013, Donbassenergo has planned for two new units of 330 MW each to replace unit 6 (also referred to as 6A and 6B), but has yet to secure permits or financing.
The new units are included in "The plan for development of United Energy System of Ukraine for 2015-2024."
Local contractor Energoprogress is promoting the project together with U.S. company Babcock-Wilcox. Donbassenergo has already dismantled the old 800 MW unit of the original Slavyansk power station to prepare space for construction of the new unit 8.
With the site cleared and technical documentation completed, Donbassenergo is seeking finance for the project but finding it difficult, as the plant is near a combat zone between Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists.
In December 2018, it was reported that Donbasenergo signed a contract with China's Dongfang Electric International Corporation to build new units 6A and 6B at 330 MW each. The reported cost of the contract for the reconstruction using circulating fluidized bed (CFB) technology is US$684.296 million. According to the plan, unit No. 6A will be put into operation in July 2022, unit No. 6B in July 2023.
As of December 2020 there have been no further developments on the units, which appear to be shelved.
Project Details of Slavyansk II
- Sponsor: Donbassenergo
- Parent company: Donbassenergo
- Developer: Dongfang Electric International Corporation
- Location: Mykolaivka, Donetsk, Ukraine
- Coordinates: 48.872, 37.76567 (exact)
- Status: Shelved
- Capacity: 660 MW (Units 6a & 6b: 330 MW)
- Type: circulating fluidized bed
- Start date:
- Coal Type: Hard coal
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "Slavyansk," Industcards, accessed March 2015
- "Сгоревшая при боевиках Славянская ТЭС возобновила работу," LB.UA, March 26, 2015
- "Славянская ТЭС," de.com.ua, accessed March 2016
- "План розвитку Об’єднаної енергетичної системи України на наступні десять років," Ukrenergo, 2015, p 12
- "БЛОК НА ЗАКАЗ," Donbassenergo, 2014
- "Structural units of the company," Donbassenergo, accessed May 2017
- Personal communication with National Ecological Center of Ukraine, May 13, 2017
- "DONBASENERGO SIGNS CONTRACT WITH CHINA DONGFANG ELECTRIC TO RECONSTRUCT ONE UNIT," Ukraine Open for Business, Dec 22, 2018