The buyer of the Sparrows Point steel mill told workers that it was considering adding a coal-fired power plant at the site of the mill, using the plant to power the mill, and selling excess electricity to the grid.
As of August 2008, Maryland's air permitting agency has not received a draft air permit application and there is no expected timeline for the application.
Location: Baltimore County, Maryland
Size: Between 120 and 1000 megawatts (MW)
Type: To be decided
Status: Under study
- Paul Adams, “Buyer of Sparrows Point Planning Major Expansion,” BaltimoreSun.com, August 7, 2007.
- "Stopping the Coal Rush", Sierra Club, accessed December 2007. (This is a Sierra Club list of new coal plant proposals.)
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Maryland and coal
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- US proposed coal plants (both active and cancelled)
- Coal plants cancelled in 2007
- Coal plants cancelled in 2008
- State-by-state guide to information on coal in the United States (or click on the map)