Spur Hill coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Spur Hill coal mine is a proposed underground coking coal mine. The proposed site lies 5km from Denman, in the Upper Hunter Valley, New South Wales, Australia. The proposal is to mine the area for 25 years.
The undated image below shows the exact location of the proposed mine.
Coal Mine Background
In July 2014 the Environmental Assessment Requirements were sent to the the NSW Government Department of Planning and Environment. The EARs determine the requirements for the preparation of the Environmental Impact Statement.
In January 2017 the Spur Hill coal mine proposal was one of the first required to certify the accuracy of its assessments, to certify it does not include false or misleading information about possible impacts on the Hunter River, neither horse studs or wineries.
The department of planning has confirmed it now requires all mine environmental impact statements to carry the certification after years of complaints by community and environment groups about the standard of some mine environmental assessment information and modelling.
In 2014 Malabar coal applied for planning permission. The Department of Planning re-issued environmental assessment requirements on 21 December 2016, over two years after first issuing the requirements, and after the price of coking coal jumped from $US70 a tonne in November, 2015 to more than $US300 a tonne a year later.
- Sponsor: Spur Hill Management
- Parent Company: Spur Hill U.T. and Malabar Coal
- Location: 5 km from Denman, Upper Hunter Valley
- GPS Coordinates: -32.409645, 150.737875 (exact)
- Status: Shelved
- Production Capacity: 8 mtpa
- Total Resource: 626 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves: 154 million tonnes
- Coal type: Coking coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- NSW Government, "Environmental Assessment Requirements", New South Wales Government Major Projects website, 21 December 2016.
- Malabar Coal, "Spur Hill Underground ", New South Malabar Coal website, 2018.
- Joanne McCarthy, "Spur Hill coal mine proposal is one of the first required to certify the accuracy of its assessments", Newcastle Herald, 5 January 2017.
- Malabar Coal, "Environmental Assessment Requirements", New South Wales Government Major Projects website, 21 December 2016.
- Malabar Coal, "Resources & Reserves", Malabar Coal website, 2018.
- "Spur Hill Underground Coking Coal Project: Application for a Gateway Certificate," "Spur Hill Underground Coking Coal," 2013.