Stalowa Wola power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Stalowa Wola power station is a 250-megawatt coal-fired power station in Podkarpackie, Poland.
The coal plant is on standby. A new 450 MW combined-cycle power plant was commissioned at the site on September 30, 2020.
The map below shows the plant in Stalowa Wola.
In 2012 plans were announced for construction of a new 450 MW combined-cycle power plant at the site. Operation was planned for 2015. The plant is sponsored by Elektrocieplownia Stalowa Wola, a joint venture between PGNiG and Tauron Group.
In June 2019, S&P Global reported that Tauron plans to finish the delayed 450 MW CCGT in 2020.
In August 2020, S&P Global reported that Tauron had completed the synchronization of the nearly five year-delayed, US$403 million CCGT with the national grid, and that it would enter a testing phase before the intended start-up of operations in September 2020. That start-up was delayed again on September 7. The unit officially came online September 30, 2020.
- Sponsor: Elektrocieplownia Stalowa Wola
- Parent company: PGNiG, Tauron Group
- Location: Stalowa Wola, Podkarpackie, Poland
- Coordinates: 50.553861, 22.079104 (exact)
- Gross capacity (operating): 700 MW
- Unit 3: 125 MW (1958) - subcritical coal (standby)
- Unit 4: 125 MW (1966) - subcritical coal (standby)
- Combined-cycle unit: Gas-fired combined cycle with CHP, 450 MW (start-up in 2020)
Articles and Resources
- "Pomorzany Power Plant," GEO, accessed Nov 2019
- Beyond Coal Europe database, Beyond Coal Europe, accessed Nov 8, 2019
- "GE to provide natural gas-fired turbine to power plant in Poland," PowerEng, 10.2.12
- "Poland's PGE launches tender to build country's biggest gas plant," S&P Global, Jun. 14, 2019
- Adam Easton, "Tauron's 450-MW Polish gas plant synchronized after coronavirus delay," S&P Global, Aug. 24, 2020
- New Polish gas-fired unit start up delayed, Argus Media, Sep 4, 2020
- New CCGT unit in Stalowa Wola placed in service, PGNiG, Sep 30, 2020