Sugar Camp Mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Sugar Camp mine complex consists of the MC #1 mine and Viking mine, operated separately by M-Class Mining LLC and Viking Mine LLC, subsidiaries of Foresight Energy in Macedonia, Illinois, United States. The operations report their public data under the MC#1 name and produce 14.4 million short tons per annum.
The map below shows the location of the mine, near Macedonia, in Franklin County, Illinois.
- Owner: M-Class Mining LLC, Viking Mine LLC
- Parent company: Foresight Energy
- Location: Macedonia, Franklin county, Illinois, United States
- GPS coordinates: 38.027862, -88.766115
- Production (short tons): 14,460,951 (2018)
- Recoverable reserves: 1,309.9 million tons
- Type of coal: Bituminous
- Mine type: Underground
- Equipment: 2 Longwall systems with two continuous miner units
- Number of employees: 411
- Mine Status: Operating
- Start Year:2012
- MSHA ID: 1103189
Sugar Camp No. 1 Mine is an underground mine near the villages of Akin and Macedonia, in Franklin County, Illinois. The mine is operated by M-Class Mining LLC and Viking Mine LLC, both subsidiaries of Foresight Energy. They both run their own longwall operation on the site. Both longwall mines share common surface infrastructure but maintain separate access points for mine personnel and equipment. The first longwall operation, M Class #1 Mine started in the first quarter of 2012 and the 2nd opeation of Viking Energy at the end of the second quarter of 2014. This complex is also known as MC#1 Mine, that name is used in the EIA 923 database for both longwall operations.
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Illinois and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- "Sugar Camp Mine in Illinois" Photo Gallery
- EIA Major U.S. Coal Mines: http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/coal/page/acr/table9.html
- The Illinois Coal Industry Statutory Mandated Report 2008 an industry report containing information on Illinois mines.
- John Lippert and Mario Parker, "New King Coal," Bloomberg Markets Magazine, October 12, 2010
- "Operations" Foresight.com, accessed June 2019.
- "EIA table 9 2019" EIA.gov accessed June 2020
- Investigation continues into death of miner crushed by large piece of coal, The Southern Illinoisan, 7 Nov. 2013.
- Mine accident takes Marion father's life, The Southern Illinoisan, 9 Dec. 2015.