Sumut-1 power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Sumut-1 power station is a proposed 300-megawatt (MW) coal-fired station in North Sumatra Province, Indonesia. It is also referred to as Hamparan Perak PLTU and Paruh Kurau PLTU.
The satellite photo below shows the plant in Paruh Kurau, Deli Serdang District, North Sumatra Province, Indonesia.
Background on Plant
Construction on the 2 x 150 MW Sumut-1 power station began in October 2013, managed by PT Mabar Elektrindo. In the 2016-2025 and 2017-2026 PLN long-range supply plans, Sumut-1 power station is proposed for 2018. In the 2018-2027 plan the project is listed for completion in 2019. In the 2019-2028 plan the project is listed for completion in 2020.
In March 2020, Oceanwide Holdings Co., Ltd., the parent company of PT Mabar Elektrindo, had its debt rating downgraded by S&P to CCC-, suggesting that Oceanwide Holdings would not be able to pay its soon-to-mature USD 680 million in debt. The ratings downgrade called into question the completion of the Sumut-1 power station; Oceanwide was reportedly seeking to sell a large proportion of its property assets. Oceanwide Holdings defaulted on USD 280 million in offshore bond debt in May 2021.
In July 2016 an environmental activist in North Sumatra, Effendi Syahputra, alleged that the plant was being built without a permit from the Department of Transportation to build a dock. He also alleged that land reclamation was occurring improperly, with sea sand that was not in accordance with mining regulations.
- Sponsor: PT Mabar Elektrindo
- Parent company: Oceanwide Holdings Co. Ltd.
- Location: Paruh Kurau, Deli Serdang District, North Sumatra Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: 3.7802498,98.6369399 (exact)
- Status: Construction
- Gross Capacity: 2 x 150 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: PT Mabar Elektrind
Articles and resources
- Sumut Segera Miliki PLTU Baru Berkapasitas 2x150 Mw, Oke, Oct. 29, 2015
- “Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik, PT PLN (Persero), 2016-2025,” Kementerian Energi Dan Sumber Daya Mineral, June 2016
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2017-2026, PT PLN Persero
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2018-2027, PT PLN Persero, A-19
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2019-2028, PT PLN Persero, A-13
- Faisal Maliki Baskoro, Indirect Impact of Virus Corona , the fate of 2 PLN projects in question Proyek, Berita Satu, Mar. 6, 2020
- Wang Juanjuan and Denise Jia, Oceanwide Holdings Defaults on $280 Million of Offshore Bonds, Caixin Global, May 27, 2021
- Pemerintah Diminta Hentikan Proyek PLTU Paluh Kurau, Okezone, Jul. 17, 2016