Suomenoja power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Suomenoja power station, in the region of Uusimaa, Finland, has 359 to 369 megawatts (MW) of generating capacity (170 MW coal-fired and 279 MW gas-fired).
The undated satellite below shows the plant in Espoo.
The power plant had a total of five units: two using coal, two using natural gas, and one heat pump unit, commissioned from 1977 to 2015. In 1977, a steam power plant producing electricity and heat and using coal as fuel was completed. A hot water boiler plant based on circulating fluidized bed technology and intended for peak load operation was completed in 1986.
Together with the City of Espoo, Espoo-based energy company Fortum announced a commitment to make district heating production carbon-neutral in Espoo, Kauniainen, and Kirkkonummi by 2025. In Spring 2020, a new bio-heating facility built in Kivenlahti, Espoo, Finland, replaced one of the two coal-fired units. It appears the decommissioned unit was the oldest of the two coal units, but it is uncertain.
Project Details of coal units
- Sponsor: Fortum Power and Heat Oy
- Parent company: Fortum OYJ
- Location: Espoo, Uusimaa, Finland
- Coordinates: 60.148333, 24.718333 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross generating capacity: 359-369 MW
- Unit 1 (retired): Coal-fired subcritical, 90 MW (start-up in 1977, retired in 2020)
- Unit 2 (operating): Coal-fired subcritical, 80 MW (start-up in 1986)
- Unit 2 (operating): Gas-fired combined cycle with CHP, 234 MW (start-up in 2009)
- Unit 6 (operating): Gas-fired open-cycle gas turbine with CHP, 45 MW (start-up in 1989)
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "Coal-Fired Plants in Finland," Industcards, accessed April 2016
- "Waste heat utilization in Espoo’s district heating network," Fortum Power and Heat Oy, March 2020
- "City of Espoo will discontinue the use of coal – its new bioplant generates heat for almost 100,000 people," KPA Unicon Oy, October 26, 2020
- "Espoo Clean Heat," ESPOO ESBO & Fortum, October 2019
- Finnish Energy Agency power plant register Tila - Energiavirasto
- ENTSO-E Transparency Platform, ID 44W-T-YT-100014A, 44W-T-YT-100013C accessed November 2019
- PÖYRY CASE SUMMARY, Poyry, accessed Apr 1, 2021
- Open Power System Data December 2018
- Suomenoja 2 combined cycle power plant | Pöyry global
- ENTSO-E Transparency Platform, ID 44W-T-YT-1000158 accessed November 2019
- LCP BREF Review
- District heating production units in Helsinki metropolitan area, Opasnet, Jul 2, 2015