T-Project coal project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
The T-Project coal project is a possible South African coal project about 12 km north of the town of Kinross in the Mpumalanga province.
The map below shows the approximate location of the project. It is about 12 km north of the town of Kinross in the Mpumalanga province.
In BHP Billiton's 2009 Annual Report, the company listed it as a possible underground mine producing thermal coal. It listed it as having a total resource of 281 million tonnes. BHP Billiton Energy Coal South Africa is BHP Billiton's wholly owned subsidiary which develops coal projects in South Africa.
In its 2014 annual report, BHP Billiton reported this project's "total resources" as 183 million tonnes.
BHP Billiton announced in its 2015 annual report that they were discontinuing this project, demerging it and, with a handful of other coal projects, rolling it into a new company called South32.
In 2016, IOL Business Report reported that "T-Project is an underground coal operation, which is expected to supply Eskom’s Kusile power station" and was trying to raise money.
In August of 2018, AEMFC was still trying to raise money, saying that "The T Project mine commissioning is at capital raising stage and structuring is underway to take advantage of opportunities, including supplying Eskom and other available industries that are showing a keen interest" in their annual report.
After more than four years with no news reports on the project, T-Project appears to be cancelled.
- Owner: African Exploration Mining and Finance Corporation (AEMFC)
- Parent company:
- Location: 12 km north of Kinross, Mpumalanga province
- GPS coordinates: -26.357183, 29.083776 (approximate)
- Mine status: Cancelled
- Start year:
- Mineable reserves:
- Coal type: Thermal
- Mine size: 6,500 hectares
- Mine type: Underground
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- African Exploration Mining and Finance Corporation SOC Limited Annual Report, AEMFC Website, 31 Mar. 2015, accessed Oct. 2019
- BHP Billiton, 2009 BHP Billiton Annual Report, BHP Billiton, September 2009, page 90.
- BHP Billiton Annual Report 2014, pp. 122-123, BHP Billiton website, accessed Oct. 2019.
- BHP Billiton Annual Report 2015, BHP Billiton website, accessed Oct. 2019.
- Mining firm seeks to raise R3.5bn, IOL Business Report, 30 Aug. 2016.
- CEF Group of Companies 2017/18 Integrated Annual Report p. 96, CEF Group, 28 Aug. 2019.