Taconite Harbor Energy Center
|Part of the |
Global Coal Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
|Related coal trackers:|
Taconite Harbor Energy Center is a retired power station in Hoyt Lakes, Cook, Minnesota, United States.
Table 1: Project-level location details
|Plant name||Location||Coordinates (WGS 84)|
|Taconite Harbor Energy Center||Hoyt Lakes, Cook, Minnesota, United States||47.531225, -90.911758 (exact)|
The map below shows the exact location of the power station.
Unit-level coordinates (WGS 84):
- Unit 2, Unit 3, Unit 1: 47.531225, -90.911758
Table 2: Unit-level details
|Unit name||Status||Fuel(s)||Capacity (MW)||Technology||Start year||Retired year|
|Unit 2||retired||coal - bituminous||84||subcritical||1957||2023|
|Unit 3||retired||coal - bituminous||84||subcritical||1967||2015|
|Unit 1||retired||coal - bituminous||84||subcritical||1957||2023|
Table 3: Unit-level ownership and operator details
|Unit 2||ALLETE Inc [100.0%]|
|Unit 3||ALLETE Inc [100.0%]|
|Unit 1||ALLETE Inc [100.0%]|
Unit 3 was retired in May 2015.
Units 1 & 2 have been idled since 2016. Though reportedly scheduled to be offline in March 2022, the units were not retired as of April 2022 according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.
In March 2023, Units 1 and 2 were officially retired.
- 2006 CO2 Emissions: 1,752,752 tons
- 2006 SO2 Emissions:
- 2006 SO2 Emissions per MWh:
- 2006 NOx Emissions:
- 2005 Mercury Emissions:
Articles and Resources
- "Minnesota Power outlines its EnergyForward resource strategy," Minnesota Power press release, January 30, 2013
- "News Release: Clean air victory in northern Minnesota as Minnesota Power announces phasing out coal at two Minnesota plants," Fresh Energy, January 30, 2013
- “Minnesota Power Takes down Unit 3," Cook County News Herald, May 30, 2015
- "Preliminary Monthly Electric Generator Inventory (based on Form EIA-860M as a supplement to Form EIA-860) - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)". www.eia.gov. Retrieved 2022-07-11.
- “2022 Annual Report," Allete, March 2023
- "EIA 923 2015" EIA 923 2015.
To access additional data, including an interactive map of coal-fired power stations, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Plant Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.