Tahmoor coal complex
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Tahmoor coal complex consists of the Tahmoor Coking Coal Mine (also known as Tahmoor North), which is currently operating, and the Tahmoor South mine, which has been proposed. They are located approximately 80 kilometres (km) south-west of Sydney in the Southern Coalfields of New South Wales, and both mines are underground longwall mines that produce coking coal.
Mining began at Tahmoor Coking Coal Mine (Tahmoor North) in 1979 and is owned and operated by SIMEC Mining, a member of the GFG Alliance. As of June 2020, the existing mining operation at Tahmoor Coking Coal is due to cease in 2022, though.
In order to continue mining, SIMEC Mining applied to extend the life of the mine by a further 13 years, up until 2035. If approved, the mine expansion would take place at Tahmoor South mine, which is within the same mining lease but slightly south of the Tahmoor Coking Coal operations.
As of June 2020, the Tahmoor South project is in the "assessment" phase, having already submitted an environmental impact statement and responded to appropriate submissions from interested stakeholders.
- Sponsor: Tahmoor Coal Pty Ltd
- Parent Company: SIMEC Mining Division (SIMEC) of the GFG Alliance (GFG)
- Location: Located approximately 80 kilometres (km) south-west of Sydney in the Southern Coalfields of New South Wales (NSW).
- GPS Coordinates: -34.2532732,150.5753104 (exact)
- Status: Tahmoor North is operating, while Tahmoor South is proposed
- Production Capacity: currently Tahmoor North produces about 1.8 mtpa, though the expansion to Tahmoor South will increase production to 4 mtpa
- Total Resource: 290 Mt (Measured, Indicated, and Inferred Resource, 2020) 
- Mineable Reserves: 11 Mt (Proven and Probable Reserves, 2020) 
- Coal type: Coking coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: underground, longwall
- Start Year: Tahmoor North began in 1979, while Tahmoor South has not yet begun, but predictions are set for 2022.
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- "Our plans," "Tahmoor South Project website," accessed June 2020.
- "Tahmoor South Coal Project," "NSW Government," accessed June 2020.
- "Tahmoor North Mine (Tahmoor South Project)," "Mining Data Solutions," accessed June 2020.
- "Environmental Impact Statement - Main Report," "AECOM Australia Pty Ltd," December 21, 2018.
- "Tahmoor Coking Coal Mine Update," "SIMEC," May 2020.