Talabira power station
Talabira power station is a proposed 2,400-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Odisha, India.
The project would be located in Khumbari and Taraikela villages, Jharsuguda district, Odisha. The map below shows Khumbari village, but not the exact location of the project:
The project has been in discussion since at least 2011. It was referred to as a 1,000 megawatt (MW) project on the Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC) website and a 2,000MW project in Hindu Business. It was proposed to be developed by a joint venture between NLC and Mahanadi Coal Fields Limited. NLC stated on its website that it was proposed that the power station source coal from the Talabira Mine in the adjacent lb Valley. NLC, Mahanadi Coal Fields and Hindalco were proposing to establish a separate joint venture company for the mining operation.
The project subsequently dropped from the company websites, and was not mentioned again until September 5, 2017, when NLC India applied for a 3 x 800 MW coal plant known as NLC-Talabira. Coal would be met from the captive Talabira mines.
A terms of reference was granted on December 27, 2017. In February 2020, NLC India submitted an application for grant of Environmental Clearance, and a revised EIA in June 2020. An estimated 291 families will be displaced, and an additional 221 families affected.
In November 2020, the Expert Appraisal Committee of the India Ministry of the Environment said it plans to grant environmental clearance to the project, subject to some further revisions in its EIA.
Environmental Clearance for the project was granted on February 2, 2021.
Sponsor: Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC India)
Location: Khumbari and Taraikela villages, Jharsuguda district, Odisha
Coordinates: 21.7703289, 83.9744081 (approximate)
Capacity: 2,400 MW (Units 1-3: 800 MW)
Projected in service:
Coal Source: Talabira mines, Odisha
Source of financing:
Permits and applications: Terms of Reference, India MoEF, December 27, 2017
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Tata Power
- Tata Ultra Mega
- India and nuclear power
- U.S.- India Civil Nuclear Cooperation Initiative
- Global use and production of coal
Articles and resources
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation, "Future Plans", Neyveli Lignite Corporation website, accessed May 2014.
- "Govt panel favours environment clearance for Hindalco’s Orissa project", The Hindu, July 17, 2011.
- Form 1, India MoEF, Sep 5, 2017
- Terms of Reference, India MoEF, December 27, 2017
- EAC Minutes of Meetings, India MoEF, July 28, 2020
- MINUTES OF THE 4th MEETING OF THE RE-CONSTITUTED EXPERT APPRAISAL COMMITTEE (EAC) ON ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT (EIA) OF THERMAL POWER PROJECTS HELD ON 17th NOVEMBER, 2020
- "Upcoming Projects," NLC India, accessed June 2021