Talcher coal mines
The Talcher coal mines are a 61.83 million tonne-per-annum (MTPA) network of mines, operated by Mahanadi Coalfields Limited, a subsidiary of Coal India, on the Talcher coalfield in Angul, Odisha state, India.
As of 2019, the company has proposed mine expansions for an additional 50 MTPA to 65 MTPA.
The Mahanadi Coalfields Limited mines in Talcher include: Ananta, Balaram, Bharatpur mines, Bhubaneswari, Chhendipada, Hingula mines, Jagannath mines, Lingaraj mine, Kaniha, Nandira, and Talcher W.
The map below shows the approximate location of the coal mines, in Angul, Odisha, India with the Bharatpur mine in the center of the frame.
Background on Mine
The following mines at Talcher are proposed for expansion: Balaram to 15 MTPA and Bhubaneswari to 40 MTPA.
In June 2015 Mahanadi Coalfields floated an online tender seeking participation of interested parties to set up a 10 million tonne (mt) per annum coal washery at Talcher. The washery is to be made functional within 18 months from signing of the contract.
- Sponsor: Mahanadi Coalfields Limited
- Parent company: Coal India
- Location: Angul district, Odisha state, India
- Coordinates: 20.962009, 85.178092 (exact)
- Status: Operating, with expansions under construction/planned
- Capacity: 61.83 MTPA Total with additional 50 MTPA to 65 MTPA in proposed expansions. Ananta mine (12 MTPA), Balaram (8 MTPA), Bharatpur mines (20 MTPA), Bhubaneswari (20 MTPA, Chhendipada (0.35 MTPA), Hingula mines (8 MTPA), Jagannath mines (6.67 MTPA), Lingaraj mines (16 MTPA), Kaniha mine (10 MTPA), Nandira (0.64 MTPA), and Talcher W (0.52 MTPA).
- Reserves: 49,955 MT Total (18,149 MT proven, 27,598 MT indicated, 4,208 MT inferred)
- In service:
- Coal type:
- Mining method: surface, underground
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Mahanadi Coalfields Limited,Bioprofile of Projects, accessed March 16, 2020
- Coal India, MCL Annual Report 2017-2018,accessed March 16, 2020
- Coal India, Annual Report 2018-2019, accessed March 16, 2020.
- Bioprofile of Projects, MCL website, accessed May 2015.
- "MCL floats second tender for 10 mt coal washery," Business Standard, June 15, 2015
- Mahanadi Coalfields Limited 2013-14 Annual Report, pp. 20-21.
- Coal Directory of India 2012-13, Ministry of Coal, 2014, p. 2.11.