Tangshan I&S Steelmaking JV Kimchaek steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Tangshan I&S Steelmaking JV Kimchaek is a proposed steel plant in Kimchaek, North Hamgyeong Province, North Korea.
The map below shows the location of the proposed steel plant in Kimchaek, North Hamgyeong Province, North Korea.
This 1500 TTPY steel plant was proposed by China's Tangshan Iron & Steel, which would make it the first Chinese company to develop a steelmaking project in the country. Tangshan Iron & Steel signed a letter of intent with the Government of North Korea, but progress on the project is unclear.
Steel for weapons development
In March 2020, Daily NK reported that North Korea is aiming to increase its production of steel for weapons development, with the goal of selling these weapons abroad for foreign currency.
- Private/State ownership: private
- Parent company: Hesteel Group Co., Ltd.
- Intermediate subsidiary: Hebei Iron & Steel Group
- Owner: Tangshan I&S Steelmaking
- Location: Kimchaek, North Hamgyeong Province, North Korea
- GPS Coordinates: 40.671107, 129.182836 (approximate)
- Plant status: proposed
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 1500
Articles and resources
- Developments in Steelmaking Capacity of Non-OECD Economies 2013, OECD Publishing, Aug. 12, 2014
- N. Korea ramps up steel production for weapons development, Jang Seul Gi, Daily NK, Mar. 19, 2020, Retrieved on: May 27, 2020
- History of Hebei, Steel on the Net, Retrieved on: May 28, 2020