Terragen power station
The Terragen Power Station (also known as the Belle Vue or Bellevue power station) is a 70-megawatt (MW) coal-fired and bagasse-fired power station in Pamplemousses District, Mauritius.
The map below shows the location of the power station in Pamplemousses District, Mauritius.
The Terragen Power Station (also known as the Belle Vue power station) appears to produce electricity by using bagasse during the cane harvest season from July to December and coal during the intercrop season. The plant was commissioned in 2000 and the Power Purchase Agreement was signed with the local utility company for a period of 25 years. The power plant is managed by Terragen Management Ltd, a joint venture lead by Albioma, the French strategic partner of the group. Terragen was formerly called the "Centrale Thermique de Belle Vue" or CTBV.
In 2021, the Power Plant Manager at Terragen stated: “Our priority is to maintain the production of reliable and affordable energy for the CEB network, whilst continuing to grow our mix of renewable energies.” They noted the plant’s next few years will be devoted to a gradual transition favoring renewable energies as an alternative to coal.
2022 Dispute Halts Production
As of June 27, 2022, this plant has been temporarily halting production since late April in the face of a contractual dispute with the Central Electricity Board. Terragen Limited seeks an increase in the price of the electricity that they produce. Mauritius News reports that the CEB does not appear interested in negotiating, which may lead to a long court battle. This plant accounted for 17% of the total national power supply, so this "situation remains worrying". The President of the Labor Party (PTR), Patrick Assirvaden, says an agreement must be made with the company to avoid both a blackout and bankruptcy for the company.
- Sponsor: Terragen Ltd
- Parent company: Terra Mauricia Ltd.
- Location: Pamplemousses District, Mauritius
- Coordinates: -20.067599, 57.599132
- Coal type: Unknown
- Coal source:
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 70 MW
- Unit 1: Coal-fired subcritical, 35 MW (start-up in 2000)
- Unit 2: Coal-fired subcritical, 35 MW (start-up in 2000)
Articles and Resources
- "Belle Vue Coal Power Plant," Industry About, last updated August 21, 2018
- "Terragen At a Glance," Terra - Power, accessed June 1, 2021
- "Terragen: Celebrating 20 Years Of Excellence," Terra, February 22, 2021
- "Expected developments in the dispute between the CEB and the Terragen Limited thermal power plant," Mauritius News, May 20, 2022
- "Patrick Assirvaden advocates an agreement regarding the dispute between Terragen Ltd and the CEB," Mauritius News, May 10, 2022