Tevshiin Gobi power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Mongolia and coal|
Tevshiin Gobi power station is a proposed 600-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Dondgobi, Mongolia.
The map below shows Dondgobi Province, the approximate location the proposed power station would be built, near the Tevshiin Gobi coal deposit.
In November 2014 Mogul Power of Mongolian signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with SEPCOIII Electric Power Construction Corporation (SEPCOIII) of China for the development and financing of the US$1 billion Tevshiin Gobi power plant project. The project includes a 600MW Tevshiin Gobi mine mouth power station at the Tevshiin Gobi coal deposit in the Santsagaan Sum of the Dondgobi province. The power plant feasibility study was completed and approved by the Mongolian Ministry of Energy in 2013. The power plant will be owned by Mogul Power.
In September 2015, SEPCOIII and New York-based Firebird Management completed a joint development agreement (JDA) for the development and financing of the Tevshiin Gobi coal mine and 600 MW plant. The terms of the JDA enable SEPCOIII to obtain a controlling equity stake in both the coal mine and power plant.
As of May 2020 there have been no further developments, and the project appears to be shelved.
- Sponsor: Mogul Power
- Parent company: Mogul Power
- Location: Santsagaan Sum, Dondgobi Province, Mongolia
- Coordinates: 45.766667, 106.283333 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Gross Capacity: 600 MW (Units 1-4: 150 MW)
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type: Lignite
- Coal Source: Tevshiin Gobi coal deposit
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- "Mogul Power LLC Signs Binding Memorandum of Understanding with Chinese State Owned Enterprise SEPCOIII Electric Power Construction Corporation," PR NewsWire, Nov 18, 2014
- "Mogul Power and SEPCOIII Electric partner to build $1bn power plant in Mongolia," EBR, November 19, 2014
- "SEPCOIII and Firebird complete JDA for the Tevshiin Gobi coal project," World Coal, Sep 16, 2015
- "Mongolia and the Dilemmas of Deepening Continentalism," ISA Hong Kong, Jun 7, 2017
- "中国电力报：国家电投内蒙古公司“走出去”再获突破," SPIC, 2017.05.22